add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Fantasy/Sci Fi Book Club Message Board › AggieCon...anyone?!!

user 66284602
Houston, TX
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone,

I recently read about AggieCon which is held annually in College Station, TX and I thought it's so close, but I don't know anyone nerdy enough to want to go to a sci-fi convention with me ... and then I thought of you guys :) I mentioned it as a possibility at the December meetup and there did seem to be a little bit of interest in going as a group. It's not too far of a drive (~90 min), and it seems really feasible to carpool and make it a day trip. It does go for the whole weekend, but I personally wouldn't be interested in making it longer than a day.

My general thought is we can pick a day to go, drive over early in the day, attend whatever events we want to, meet for lunch at a pre-arranged time and place and either go to more events or head back to Houston.

I've never gone to a convention before, but this one seems to be very author focused. George RR Martin will be there, as well as a couple more authors I haven't heard of, I think they're still setting up the program so there will be even more guests. If there's enough interest maybe we could even make the March book from one of the authors attending?

It's the weekend of March 22-24. There is an entrance fee, prices are as follows:

Early Registration (Closes March 1st)

Full Con Badge: $35
*Student Badge: $20

At-the-Door Badge Prices

Full Con (non-student): $40
*Full Con (student): $25
Child's Badge (under 12): $15
Day Badge (Friday/Saturday): $20
Day Badge (Sunday): $15

Here's some links to webpages for more information:

If you're interested just reply to this post and we'll see if there's enough people who want to go!

user 13913119
Sugar Land, TX
Post #: 1
I'd be down to go to a day of AggieCon. I can't exactly tell from the site what's happening on what day, although it looks like the Martin lecture is on the 22nd (the tickets for this are free, but it looks like you have to get them in advance from the box office, which I'm assuming is in College Station, so I don't know if I'd be able to get one). It also appears that there's a brony group affiliated with AggieCon, which could be entertaining.

Anyone else interested?

user 11267465
Houston, TX
Post #: 3
It sounds fun. I might consider going.
user 66284602
Houston, TX
Post #: 3
I'm planning on bringing this up at the next meeting to see if anyone else is interested, but we don't need many people to fit in a car and comfortably split the cost of gas.