Houston PHP Users Group Message Board › Permanent PHP programmer in Austin
|A former member||
Job application available at: TAHC Employment Page
“Serving Texas Since 1893”
TEXAS ANIMAL HEALTH COMMISSION
Position Title: PROGRAMMER
State Classification Title: Programmer II / B19
Monthly Salary Range: $3402 - $4400 / mo (Salary Commensurate with Experience)
Position Location: Central Office, 2105 Kramer Lane, Austin, Texas
Job Posting #: 11-04
Opening Date: 09-23-2010 CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
The Programmer plays an important role in the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) Information Technology (IT) department. This position is responsible for implementing all aspects of Open Source software development, testing, documentation, and customer support.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Maintains, develops, and deploys web applications using PHP and MySQL.
• Write and review functional specifications.
• Collect user requirements to determine application business logic and user interface layout.
• Develop test plans and test scripts.
• Write technical documentation.
• Maintain legacy Java applications.
• Maintain agency UNIX servers and services.
• Work with structured development process in a team environment and individually.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Use SQL to manipulate and extract data from databases.
• Write shell scripts and edit configuration files.
• Keep up with current technologies and trends.
• Perform other related tasks as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in computer science, management information systems, or related field with at least two (2) years experience in computer programming and systems analysis. Additional experience above the required 2 years can be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
Applicants must include in their application the following information:
Web-Projects: project name, brief description, tools used, role played, web-link for project (if available).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge and experience with the development tools: PHP, ZEND, SVN/CVS, and/or similar Open Source development tools.
• Knowledge and experience with Software Development Life Cycle.
• Knowledge of MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and database concepts.
• Working knowledge and experience in Linux/Unix.
• Familiar with the development tools: Struts, Hibernate, J2EE, Tomcat, Ant, Maven, and Eclipse.
• Working knowledge and experience with: CSS, HTML, and XML.
• Must be highly interested in learning Flex/Silverlight.
• Any mobile application development is a plus.
• Knowledge of the principles of computer programming, application development, user interface design, relational database concepts, and object-oriented analysis and design.
• Implements relational database standards as well as security protocols during the development and maintenance of agency databases.
• Excellent communication skills required to articulate business concerns to managers; convey technical issues to developers; and, effectively train users.
• Must have strong problem-solving skills.
• Experience working on a structured software development process in a team environment.
Completed and signed State of Texas Application for Employment must be received by the closing date. For postings that are “Open Until Filled,” please visit our web site or check with our Human Resources office on the status of the vacancy. Resumes and other attachments are accepted only with a completed application. Application forms and instructions are available on our web site at www.tahc.state.tx.us, or the web site of the Texas Workforce Commission at www.twc.state.tx.us. Submit fully completed and signed applications to TAHC Human Resources, P.O. Box 12966, Austin, TX 78711-2966 (2105 Kramer Lane, Austin). Phone 800-550-8242, ext. 702 or 512-719-0702. Only interviewed applicants will receive notice of the final disposition of the selection process.