addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Houston R Users Group Message Board › CarbonEL

CarbonEL

Ed G.
user 8503925
Group Organizer
Houston, TX
Post #: 6
This is probably old news to some of you, but I just discovered the CarbonEL package, so I thought I'd bring it to the attention of anyone out there using Emacs + ESS or running R from a terminal window on Mac OSX.

ESS defaults to displaying graphics via X11 (in order to make it cross platform compatible) instead of using the embedded Quartz display engine. The problem with the X11 driver is that it doesn't support semi-transparency, making some graphics impossible to display correctly.

You can use the CarbonEL package to tell the R session to use the quartz device instead.

Just install CarbonEL with install.packages("CarbonEL")­

Then, when you initiate an R session via ESS or the terminal, type the following code
library(CarbonEL)
options(device="quartz")
­

From what I understand those two lines have to be typed in session rather than launched from a script. Not sure why, but for cross platform compatibility purposes you probably wouldn't want to have it in a script anyway.

Ed