add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Humanists of Colorado Message Board › Secular Charities

Secular Charities

Jeanette M. N.
Denver, CO
Post #: 998
Someone at the last book discussion group suggested that humanists should be getting involved in charity, so that people don't think that only religions care about people. I've heard people suggest that about atheists in general, too. I said that religions have the money and the willing bodies who care enough to get involved, whereas we have a small body of hard-working people who would be doing all of the work and a much larger number of people who care enough to say, "yeah, I care, but not enough to do anything about it."

But even if we're not running charities ourselves (and most religious people aren't, either), I think that secularists' contributions to charities, and secular organizations that provide charitable and other invaluable services, tend to be overlooked. PZ Myers posted the following link to a list of secular charities and other secular groups that make the world a better place (and I think our own local secular groups do that, as well):­
A former member
Post #: 10
I suspect that the difference is only that we do not wave a red flag that says "see what I'm doing, how good I am?"

I don't know about everyone else but I give to a bunch of charities on that list and a lot of other people probably do also.

No doubt those of a religion bent would discount these secular organizations because they do not promote religion. A study of religious charities might show a smaller portion of the donations getting to those that need help than with these secular groups. Since I've not done any such study that is just my best guess and I could be off base here..