Humanists of Minnesota Message Board › Dennett video / "What Should Replace Religions?"

Dennett video / "What Should Replace Religions?"

Drew
user 4295978
Grand Rapids, MN
Post #: 175
Here's a link to a video: featuring Daniel C. Dennett, Co-Director of the Center for Cognitive Studies at Tufts University, on What Should Replace Religions?

http://www.youtube.co...­

Offered to provoke thought and, hopefully, lively discussion here on this forum.
(I don't necessarily share all of his convictions as voiced in the video, but i've always felt an affinity with Dennett's open and fair minded, creative...."outside the boxes", wherever they're found...sometimes radical approach!)
A former member
Post #: 1
I listened to part of it. Some of the ideas were rather intriguing, though overall I wasn't impressed with the presentation. If there were an event to discuss these ideas, I'd attend.

Harlan
user 14067179
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
I thought it was fantastic. Part of the proliferation of religion is related to the fact they own a pulpit. People want to feel they are a part of something bigger than themselves, churches provide that. Unfortunately it's in reference to ancient mythology. How much better would the world be if people intentionally spent an hour a week learning something about the world, including human relations as is part of religion's message. The secular community doesn't have this. Sure there's plenty of things one could do on a weekly basis but you must seek it out. There isn't a place with a weekly schedule, with a common theme, a community, a place to just share one's humanity. A place where you could be with people that realize life isn't a race to get somewhere but a dance to be enjoyed as it happens. Let's hope for his idea presented here.