Humanists of Minnesota Message Board › Apostolos and me

Apostolos and me

A former member
Post #: 3
Below is an email exchange I had with Dr. Georgopoulos (Apostolos) following his presentation last Saturday. As you can see, he generously offered to let us visit his Brain Center at the VA. I think an organizer should set up a Meetup without a date, solicit suggestions, and finalize it. The organizer should probably contact Apostolos to see if a visit is possible in the late afternoon-early evening or on the weekend. There may be a limit to the group size as well. I obviously have a pony in this race, since he also offered to discuss scanning my brain during our visit.

I haven't yet checked out the CDBaby website yet, but I shall when I finish this post. I'm inclined to pay for the CD because the money would support the Center. I hope to join a gaggle of humanists soon on a tour of the Center with Apostolos.

FYI, Apostolos's email moniker is 'omega'. Also, I suspect the title of the CD is Pieces of Mind.

to Apostolos
Dear Dr. Georgopoulos:

I attended your presentation yesterday at the monthly meeting of the Humanists of Minnesota. I found it fascinating: an incentive to read more in the area of neuroscience, which I studied a few years ago, but my knowledge has gotten a little dated. (I'm the one who asked you about the neural correlate of consciousness [NCC], a particular interest of mine, which you called 'dangerous'.) I'm writing because I tried to track down the site where I could order a copy of 'Mind Music', the recording you mentioned, without success. Can you provide me with the site address or a link?

I also said I'd be happy to have my brain scanned to add to your limited sample of persons with mood disorders. I first manifested the disorder when I crashed and burned during my first quarter at Carleton College in 1964. My diagnosis progressed from the nondescript 'a disturbance of late adolescence' to major depression with dysthemia ('double depression'). Five years ago I switched to a new psychiatrist and was diagnosed with Type 2 bipolar disorder (which I think of as bipolar spectrum disorder). So I'm interested if a MEG scan can differentiate between unipolar and bipolar disorders. (I know your sample is very small.)

Finally, I'd really enjoy a tour of your facility, if offered. Perhaps the Humanists of Minnesota could go as a group. I'm a senior scholar auditing courses at the University through the Senior Citizen Education Program, and I've taken a seminar through the Center for Cognitive Sciences (Philosophy of the Cognitive Sciences [focusing on visual perception] with Prof. Savage).

I like your moniker on your email address. Does that mean that you, despite your many accomplishments, don't consider yourself an alpha male?

The codger in the corner,
Scott Jackson
(612) 871-7119

Apostolos P. Georgopoulos
9:17 AM (53 minutes ago)

to me
Thanks a lot Scott (please call me Apostolos!) - You are most welcome to come and visit (with other Humanists) our Center here at the VA. You can email me what times would be good for you. Then we can discuss the MEG scan, which can be certainly done.

As for the CD, my colleague Roger Dumas (who did it) and myself would be delighted to ofeer one to you for free. It is marketed by CDBaby; the title of the CD is Pieces or Mind. If you go to the CDBaby website and search for that tilte you will find it.

Please let me know.

All the best,

Apostolos

PS You guessed correctly - no, I am not an alpha male!