Humanists of Minnesota Message Board › Quotes about Humanism, Spirituality, and/or Beliefs

Quotes about Humanism, Spirituality, and/or Beliefs

A former member
Post #: 7
________
What's one that you like, that's meaningful to you? I just read the following one in the Sunbeams section of The Sun Magazine, Oct. 2012 issue. Not sure if it's from one of Brin's science fiction books, or his other writings.
________

"A living planet is a much more complex metaphor for deity than just a bigger father with a bigger fist. If an omniscient, all-powerful dad ignores your prayers, it’s taken personally. Hear only silence long enough, and you start wondering about His power. His fairness. His very existence. But if a world mother doesn’t reply, Her excuse is simple. She never claimed conceited omnipotence. She has countless others clinging to Her apron strings, including myriad species unable to speak for themselves. To Her elder offspring She says, “Go raid the fridge. Go play outside. Go get a job. Or, better yet, lend me a hand. I have no time for idle whining."

David Brin