Join Humanists of Houston as we work another Friday night shift at the Houston Food Bank main warehouse (houstonfoodbank.org). We'll be in the big carousel room, where activities center around sorting packaged foods into boxes by category, for ultimate distribution through the emergency pantry. We work standing at tables, so it will be easy for you to walk between tables and talk to different people, and lift as little or as much as you like.
Please note that the Houston Food Bank requires you to register individually online, print out their volunteer pass before you arrive, and arrive early to allow for orientation. If you have any issues getting yourself registered, please let me (Julie) know ASAP.
Here is the official message from the Houston Food Bank:
Before you volunteer:
1) Each volunteer must register online prior to their volunteer date. Please follow the link http://vss.houstonfoodbank.org to complete registration.
2) Once registered, you will receive an email to activate your account and will also receive a Volunteer Pass—print this out and bring it with you to your shift.
3) All minor volunteers, age 17 and younger, must have parents complete the attached waiver and bring to their volunteer shift.
4) Anyone under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Volunteers must be at least 8 years of age.
5) If you are a returning volunteer, you can use the previous volunteer pass.
6) Bring complete roster for all student volunteers. [Note: this does not apply to our HOH group.]
Please DO NOT bring personal items. Carpooling is encouraged
Dress Code: Tennis shoes, jeans and t-shirt. No shorts or open-toed shoes are allowed for safety reasons.
Here's an optional extra: the HFB has a featured food item each month for their Backpack Buddy program, and July is Canned Chile with Meat. Consider bringing along a can to donate when you come out on Friday.
Finally, please wear your HOH t-shirt if you've got one! I usually have a few with me for sale ($10), or visit our corner of Cafe Press, http://www.cafepress.com/hohshop.