**Check out the new registration system. Even if you already have a HFB nametag/barcode, please register again using this new link.**
Join Humanists of Houston as we work a Friday night shift at the Houston Food Bank main warehouse (houstonfoodbank.org). We will be working on the project "Share Your Holidays - Family Box Building," which they describe as building boxes and filling them with donated food items. This sounds much like the typical, year-round HFB activity! :)
Please note that the Houston Food Bank requires you to register individually online, bring the barcode or QR code with you (paper or digital -- just bring your phone), and arrive early to allow for orientation. If you have any issues getting yourself registered, please let me know!
Important warehouse info from the HFB:
• 8 is great! For safety purposes all volunteers must be at least 8 years of age. Minor volunteers (8-15 years of age) must be accompanied by an adult 18 years of age or older. All volunteers under the age of 18 also need to complete a Youth Volunteer Consent Form, available at the warehouse.
• Every individual must register in our system before volunteering. Use this link.
• How to Dress? No open-toed shoes are allowed in the warehouse or kitchen. Smashed toes are no fun, so we strongly enforce this safety precaution. Dress casual and in layers to ensure you're comfortable. Long pants are recommended for the warehouse, and required for the kitchen.
• Weather Cancellations: Access our Emergency/Weather Advisory Extension by calling[masked]-8604.
• CALL TO ACTION: STOCK THE PANTRY
As the holiday season approaches we need your help to keep our Emergency Food Pantry shelves stocked with food for families in need. We are asking each person to bring non-perishable food such as peanut butter, rice or beans when you volunteer at the Houston Food Bank. With your help families will get the food they need.
Finally, please wear your HOH t-shirt if you've got one! I usually have a few with me for sale ($10), or visit our corner of Cafe Press, http://www.cafepress.com/hohshop.