Humanist Association of San Diego's Meetup Group Message Board › Does religion demand suffering?

Does religion demand suffering?

Jeni B.
user 12895289
San Diego, CA
Post #: 3
I thought this a most interesting article, worth sharing with you all: http://www.alternet.o...­
Shawn
Mandibles
San Diego, CA
Post #: 57
Yes. A definite and resounding yes. I'm going to pull some quotes out of this article to illustrate that religion, particularly the catholic church, does indeed revel in abuse. There's some other quotes I feel needs attention as well.

"A member of the faithful is taught that reason must be subjugated to belief". This is the height of grooming gullibility.

"Christopher Hitchens, who had been one of Mother Teresa’s most adamant critics, eventually revised his assessment of her". I read Hitchens article on Mother Theresa's religious doubts. Though he was loath to see this woman programmed by her religion and her masochistic treatment of the ill, he was glad she had discarded her faith for the most part, hardly an assesment revision.

"Father Joseph Neuner, SJ, who spun Mother Teresa’s doubts in such a way that the doubts themselves were deemed a sign of her holiness". This is some effed up reverse psychology in effect here that religious leaders often employ when the truth of the matter rears it's ugly head.

"We were taught that wearing spiked chains and beating ourselves allowed us to share in his work of redemption. I know it doesn’t make much sense when you say it just like that, but within that entire system it had its own weird logic". It's weird because it isn't logical. Pain association with steeling ones resolve only makes you tolerent to certain kinds of physical pain. This is masochism, a twisted form of suffering needlessly.

"In the Catholic Church, official theology is determined by the hierarchy, who have a vested interest in keeping things as they are. When Mother Teresa admitted to the priests and bishops who were her spiritual directors that she was tormented by feelings of distance from God and by doubts in God’s existence, these priests and bishops didn’t want to encourage real questioning; they probably didn’t even give themselves permission to question deeply. Unquestioning faith enables the system to continue undisturbed. Official theology often serves politics." Of course. They don't want you to figure out that their whole system is hooey. Because if you did, they wouldn't have any power over you.