Humanist Association of San Diego's Meetup Group Message Board › Manifesto, Neo, Positivity...

Manifesto, Neo, Positivity...

A former member
Post #: 7
Hi guys, thank you for your time reading my questions. I am new to the group and hope to hear your opinions on my following difficulties with understanding some core concepts of humanism.

1. This passage from the Manifesto:
"Humans are an integral part of nature, the result of unguided evolutionary change."
What about exogenic heredity?

2. Why this and the other statements sound like axioms / something to believe in?
For example, the following sentence: "Life's fulfillment emerges from individual participation in the service of humane ideals." Is this some kind of psychological generalization? ...Any humane ideas, even faulty ones? What about fallibilists who do not wish to serve and prefer to make spontaneous ethical decisions in any given complex and unique situation? :)
Or this one: "Working to benefit society maximizes individual happiness." Am I the only one here who finds something questionable in this formulation? (maximizes, really, increasing is not enough?)

3. Why its ethics is restricted to Homo sapiens only? Is it because of our innate concern to preserve our own species? What about compassion to other beings? Yes, in Manifesto our concerns suppose to be "extended to the global ecosystem and beyond" (a somewhat mysterious and grandiose formulation to me), but is that seen specifically as providing a proper environment for humans? In the Neo-Humanist statement "protection of other species" is mentioned though, are you all supporting the whole Kurtz' "neo-" part, btw?

4. Do you guys want to be a non-supernatural alternative to organized religion and mimic its methods? (e.g. be charitable) ...And in the same time to be a "positive" choice over antitheism/atheism?

Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 8
If anybody would like to answer me personally, please find me in this atheist group:
http://www.meetup.com...­
Thank you!
A former member
Post #: 11
Maybe somebody wants to help me here:
http://www.meetup.com...­