addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Jason F.
user 5827558
Group Organizer
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
Hello everyone. HASD (sd humanist association) has one established satelite organization.

We are working on taking our Gay and Lesbian Secularist Group National. Because of GABLES, the AHA has been inspired to include a GLBT cocktail hour at their conferences.

There are three other interest groups which we are starting to work on.

Humanists in Foxholes: A Secular Humanist Military and Veterans Group

The San Diego Secular Singers: Which will be a fun get together for those of us who like (not necessarily can) but like to sing.

We are also putting together a Secular Sobriety Community Resource to stem the mandate of the religious Alcoholics Annonymous.

Do we have any other community interests which are not being currently met? Or does anyone have an interest in these?

lets us know

-Jason
Steve S.
user 3186746
Biloxi, MS
Post #: 245
I would suggest more proactive community activism in the form of blood drives, park/road cleanups officially "adopted" via county jurisdiction and updated opportunities for volunteerism as the local events arise. Send a note or two to the editor of the local papers regarding such events as well.

Also, this west coast group may want to consider active donations to the Operation Foxhole Atheists.

This is an outstanding grassroots effort to support our soldiers even though many of us may not support the war.

It is also my view that all of the assorted meetup groups should support each other via emails and message board activity.

Here is the link to our own Great Southern Humanist Society in Biloxi MS serving the entire Gulf Coast area:

The Great Southern Humanist Society!

Steve

smile

PS Don't let my career fool you or the region in which I have settled, you will find that I am hard to stereotype...having grown up in and around the San Diego from 1969 to 1979.

cool
Diana
DianaJune
San Marcos, CA
Post #: 66
First, I would like to applaud Jason and Shawn for their enthusiasm and commitment to providing and organizing secular alternatives to us in so many areas where one is normally force-fed religion in order to get another need met. Bravo guys!!

Next, I would like to put out another need that may or may not get met here, but here goes:

We are an Agnostic/Humanist family in North County (San Marcos) looking to connect with other parents of toddlers who would like to build a community for their children that isn't based on thanking God for everything and supports decision-making based on reason and Humanist values rather than blind obedience to the bible.

Thanks, Diana smile