Feeding America San Diego (FASD) is able to provide food to 73,000 different individuals each week because of the help of numerous volunteers. Join the 8,000 individuals who dedicate their time to help feed people each year. Volunteers help with a variety of projects, all focused around sorting, cleaning, bagging, and boxing food before it is distributed to families facing hunger throughout our community. This is a excellent opportunity for family participation and a gateway to mentoring your children in the Humanist tradition.
FASD does ask that each volunteer sign up through the FASD online website using the instructions below. This allows the sign-in process to be smooth and efficient, helps them to be sure they have plenty of work for all volunteers who arrive with our group, and allows them to verify individual hours (for those needing proof of service). And I need you to sign-up through our own HOC or HFSD meet-up site so I will know who is participating with our group.
Special note for groups expecting minors:
Volunteers must be 6 years old and older to volunteer at our Distribution Center. All volunteers must be 16 and older to volunteer on their own, and all volunteers under the age of 18 are required to bring in a paper waiver signed by their parent or guardian (see attached). All volunteers must wear closed toed shoes in order to work in the Distribution Center.
Instructions for individual sign up via Feeding America San Diego’s website:
1. Visit http://vhub.at/fasd.
2. Click “Sign in” in the upper right hand corner and follow the steps as instructed (If you have not registered with FASD previously as an individual, you will need to do that now in order to proceed, then join the team).
a. During this step, you will be asked to enter your groups join code: 0445
3. Once you return to the main page, scroll down until you find your groups volunteer shift.
4. Click the “Sign Up” button to the left of the “Event Name”. If the shift is "full", contact me (Michael Summers) and I will have our team allotment increased.
5. Each Volunteer will receive a confirmation email with further instructions.
On the day of your event:
• Arrive at 9455 Waples Street, Suite 135 San Diego, CA 92121 on your designated day.
• Sign by your name on the printed Sign-In Sheet.
• Wait in the Volunteer Center for your Volunteer Event to begin. Tours will be given to small groups of 10-40 volunteers at a time, depending on the size of the group. Each group will end their tour at the location of their volunteer task. Look for me or one of the HOC organizers. I will be wearing a HOC tee shirt.
I have arranged for our group to work at the Distribution Center on the 2nd Tuesday of each month until further notice.
If an active humanist community is important to you, please consider volunteering a bit of time to the Humanist Fellowship of San Diego. Contact Debbie, our board president, at [masked].