Humanist Fellowship of San Diego Message Board › The George Zimmerman verdict

The George Zimmerman verdict

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 155
Can't say that I'm surprised that he was found not guilty. After all, it took 44 days to arrest Zimmerman and that was only after heavy public pressure to do so. Florida is still pretty conservative and its "Stand Your Ground" law gives shooters wide latitude to use firearms in "self defense." And there is a very liberal interpretation of what constitutes "self defense" especially when the shooter is white and the person who is shot is black. However, that definition becomes extremely narrow when the shooter is black and the person who is shot is white. More on that below.

This article perfectly expresses my feelings about the case.

http://www.newyorker....­

And these articles illustrate the double standard of "Stand Your Ground" laws when the shooter is black and the person shot is white.

http://www.salon.com/...­

http://www.politicusu...­

Michael Moore was absolutely correct in this Tweet: "Had a gun-toting Trayvon Martin stalked an unarmed George Zimmerman, and then shot him to death... DO I EVEN NEED TO COMPLETE THIS SENTENCE?"

Conservatives (and many liberals) don't like to hear this, but the truth is that our society places greater value on the lives of whites. Amnesty International statistics bear this out: blacks who kill whites are FOUR TIMES more likely to receive the death penalty than whites who kill blacks.

Regardless of how anyone feels about this case, the fact is that the tragedy could have been avoided if Zimmerman had obeyed the instructions of the police dispatcher to not follow what he believed to be a "suspicious person." He should have allowed the police to handle it and shouldn't have taken the law into his own hands.

The reactions of conservative bloggers to this case are so despicable that I don't want to print them. Personally, I am so sick of their "God, gays and guns" mentality. This is the #1 thing I am ashamed of when I travel internationally and when people from other countries ask me why Americans are so obsessed with these issues.

A former member
Post #: 19
It would appear the Rule of Law and trial by jury has been supplanted by mob rule and trial by media. Admittedly, I have not closely followed the trial, but I did not do so by choice. How much Truth is to be found in the corporate media? Their concern is only for market share. The Moguls could not care less about accuracy in reporting.

As with all the other thousands of trials that took place throughout the country during this particular media zoo (and possibly deserving of more coverage), I was not on the jury so must defer my opinion to the 12 who were.
A former member
Post #: 12
That was a shitty trial. One person came along with a gun and went after someone, that someone is now dead.
kay
user 78743052
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
Wilfredo. I lived most of my life near or in the city of Chicago. One of the most segregated cities in the country. And one of the most diverse. Chicago also has one of if not the highest, per capita, gun deaths in the US. I believe the life expectancy for young ghetto men is something like 25 due to gun violence. (I'm not sure - it's interesting how hard it is to find these stats. )

The majority of these crimes occur in the poor urban areas, which are primarily black or hispanic. Did you know that Zimmerman is 1/2 hispanic? Yet the media has chose to label him as white. If Martin had killed Zimmerman.. Zimmerman 'definitely' would have been labeled hispanic.

If anyone truly cares about the problem of race (and class) because it is a problem in this country, actually in every country, they need to do more than sport a hoody in solidarity for Trayvon. But of course that's the easy solution. I'll put on a hoody and be on my way with a clear conscience. Hey, I lived in the city, near Lincoln Park, pretty safe, pretty white, so 650 gun deaths? They weren't happening in Lincoln Park. I want to see all these people who are sporting these hoodies, put that hoody on, and take an evening stroll in the West Side of Chicago. If they don't come out wishing they had worn their Depends, I'd eat my hat. It's context. (obviously this hoody thing has really gotten to me.)

So, moving on from hoodies, kids in these low income areas are at a disadvantage from the very beginning. The most basic social program, 'free' education, is 'intended' to be available to all in this country. But we all know it's not evenly distributed. My high school in an upper class suburb of chicago versus an inner city school probably has twice the per student costs. Funny how I can't even find a clear chart on this. I wonder why? Hey media? where are you? I did pottery with alot of young people living in the city and a number of young Chicago teachers. They had to buy basic supplies for their students because the school didn't provide them. But the city schools paid pretty high salaries. I believe it's combat pay. (great watch is "waiting for superman" heartbreaking documentary on the US education system)

I also had a friend who taught at one of the charter schools in the city. She had a PHD and her students were mostly from upper income families. So, their budget was little higher.

This focus on Trayvon and George is missing the most crucial point. Both individuals are products of an emotionally charged dynamic. And the media is doing society a disservice by not seeing the situation for what it is. Complex.

Lastly, wtf is a 'stand your ground' law? Who came up with that? Personally, Zimmerman should have gotten something for not leaving it up to the police. Wow, so you can provoke someone, while you're conceal carrying a gun, and then shoot them? Maybe slam your head and nose against the ground - bloody yourself up - and get off scot-free? Wow - that - to me - is the bigger problem. Another law skewed in the wrong direction.

http://colorlines.com...­
A former member
Post #: 20
For an interesting parallel to this case, check-out Roderick Scott: http://www.snopes.com...­

Similar circumstances but the races are reversed (However, note that Zimmerman was part Hispanic, not white only). Bottom line: If the verdict goes against them, the family and friends of the deceased always feel that justice was not served. A natural and understandable reaction. Which is why we opt for trial by jury rather than family vendettas.
lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5
The sad fact about this case, regardless of the race factor (which is indisputable), is that the jury of six made its decision without fully understanding its instructions (re: the elements of 2nd degree murder and manslaughter). That seemed to be the case when the verdict was announced, because the evidence, while a bit of a reach for 2nd degree, was clear for manslaughter. That was all verified yesterday when one of the jurors stated that because the jury couldn't prove Zimmerman's intent to kill Martin, they had to find him not guilty. This could not be further from the truth and is a devastating misunderstanding of the law, not an example of justice carried out. A jury of one's peers is all well and good in concept, but to believe that their verdict is fair and indicative of what really happened requires just as much reliance on faith as does belief in the ubiquitous sky fairy.