Humanist Fellowship of San Diego Message Board › Losing the Battle, Winning the War?

Losing the Battle, Winning the War?

lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 41
Interesting take ~ even though atheists lost this legal battle, they won by exposing just how christian-biased local governments can be:

http://www.religiondi...­
Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 224
This is simply outrageous and the court's argument was weak. But then again, it's the South. I am so sick of these Xtians trying to impose their views on others via the government, and even sicker at government agencies that support the viewpoints of these Xtians. This is clearly an Establishment Clause violation. But Xtians don't care about that pesky First Amendment. The good news is this is a new era and Xtians cannot operate with impunity. We won't win all battles, but from now on, Secular Americans will always be there to do battle with Xtians in the courts, including the court of public opinion.
A former member
Post #: 112
It seems to me that the battles are fought in Congress, but the war is won in the courts. And I have a very bad feeling about the Supreme Court. Several of its influential members are taking a very different view of the 1st Amendment by emphasizing the free exercise of religion rather than protection from the same.

As a result, I think we are in for a very rough period where we will be experiencing more court-sanctioned discrimination against non-theists. I don't see Obama having much impact on the judicial system (at least from a Liberal perspective).
lynn
lynn-riggs
San Diego, CA
Post #: 42
I'm afraid I have to agree with you, Mike (and also with you, Wilfredo). I think too many of us take our current status for granted - and there is absolutely no guarantee that non-theists will be afforded rights in this country in the long term. It does all hinge on however the Supreme Court interprets the 1st Amendment and the Exclusionary Clause. It is more than just possible - it is indeed likely based on the current trend - that the separation of church and state could be obliterated in our lifetimes and that, as Mike suggested, non-believers could be legally discriminated against. If anyone is interested in working against that, please know that Americans United has monthly, grass roots suggestions of what each of us can do AT THE LOCAL LEVEL. Each month they send a new action idea. If more of us don't get involved, we'll be standing by as our rights erode from underneath us. Please consider giving a few hours a month toward protecting our rights to be free from religion: https://www.au.org/...­