Humanist Fellowship of San Diego Message Board › I sold my body (and nearly my soul) to Abercrombie

I sold my body (and nearly my soul) to Abercrombie

Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 254

Oliver Lee Bateman recounts the racism and body shaming he encountered and perpetuated as a manager for Abercrombie and Fitch. I hope this doesn't shock anyone. I am not one bit surprised by this.

http://www.salon.com/...­

A former member
Post #: 139
Truthfully, I didn't watch the entire clip. What you or I may call discrimination would be called "business as usual" in America. It's all about the buck for most corporations.

Don't corporations have a right to groom and promote special individuals for higher responsibility, no matter how offensive it seems to those of us who were passed over? And having the "right" look is a large part of the corporate image....
Wilfredo P.
user 11974495
Chula Vista, CA
Post #: 255
Not when "special" means "exclusively white," Mike. Read the entire article, THEN tell me if you think Abercrombie's clearly discriminatory actions were justified. The $50 million judgment against this despicable company seems to say "NO."
A former member
Post #: 141
Wilfredo:

I watched the entire segment this time. I didn't come away with the same conclusions as you, if you feel that the discrimination was primarily racial.

I thought the interviewee made it clear that it wasn't about race. The company was interested in projecting an image of a "quality, positive college student" (among other things). He specifically mentioned that the black guy was taken off the floor not because of race, but because he didn't look good.

Regarding my earlier comment about the rights of corporations, etc... I was being facetious. Although corporations do have certain legal rights, discrimination based on race, gender, sexual orientation, etc, is not one of them.

I think corporations are not people and are granted too many rights. But that's another story....