The Humanists of Greater Portland (HGP) are reaching out! We have been meeting downtown every Sunday morning for a decade, for questions, discussion, and socializing, all anchored to an interesting program. Everyone is welcome to attend those meetings, and we get some attendees traveling 25 miles each way, but they don't work for everyone.
So what would work better for you? Where? When? Humanism is taking off in the Portland area and around the world, especially among nonreligious people (including atheists and agnostics) who want to help improve the world in some way which doesn't revolve around supernatural motivations or explanations. What kinds of issues or activities are especially well-suited to Humanists' special brand of objectivity and/or skepticism? Let's meetup at a convenient time and place to talk, plan, and/or act.
We envision this site as a resource for organizing meetups in different parts of the greater Portland area at different times. HGP's people, experience, and resources (starting with this meetup) may be able to help you to get the Humanism ball rolling with times, places, and activities convenient to you.
We consider Humanism a philosophy for those who seek improvement in this life by:
* applying reason, science, and free inquiry to solving human problems;
* advocating freedom, happiness, and progress for all humanity;
* using the democratic process to seek justice and fairness in all societies;
* supporting moral principles that have been validated by consequences;
* accepting kinship with the natural world;
* holding humans responsible for human destiny;
* seeking natural rather than supernatural explanations.