Humanists of Greater Portland Meetup Message Board › Atheists have no songs: from Steve Martin

Atheists have no songs: from Steve Martin

A former member
Post #: 105
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 1,919
There are some atheist songs, such as Imagine.

I have rewritten a Christmas carol from a Secular Humanist perspective. I created what I call Humanistic Biblicalism. It is a quasi-religious philosophy and way of life which makes use of the Bible (and my rewrite of it, which is in progress) and Judeo-Christian religious culture from a secular humanist perspective.

Today I created the group for Humanistic Biblicalism in the Yahoo groups' website at this link. I have also tentatively scheduled the group's first Bible discussion from a secular humanist perspective. The tentative date and time are 2012-FEB-24 at 3 PM and the location is in Beaverton. For those who are interested please join the group on Yahoo and mention where in Beaverton you would like to meet and please mention which biblical chapters you want discussed at the meeting. Thanks.

Update of 2014-05-07: The new link for my Yahoo group is "Educators and Students of Naturalism". The link for a group associated to it is
"Humanistic Quasi-Christianity". My idea of Humanistic Biblicalism (formerly tentatively called Humanistic Christianity) is now called Humanistic Quasi-Christianity.
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,106
There are some atheist songs, such as Imagine.

I have rewritten a Christmas carol from a Secular Humanist perspective. I created what I call Humanistic Biblicalism. It is a quasi-religious philosophy and way of life which makes use of the Bible (and my rewrite of it, which is in progress) and Judeo-Christian religious culture from a secular humanist perspective.

Today I created the group for Humanistic Biblicalism in the Yahoo groups' website at this link. I have also tentatively scheduled the group's first Bible discussion from a secular humanist perspective. The tentative date and time are 2012-FEB-24 at 3 PM and the location is in Beaverton. For those who are interested please join the group on Yahoo and mention where in Beaverton you would like to meet and please mention which biblical chapters you want discussed at the meeting. Thanks.

No one showed up to my Humanistic Biblicalist Yahoo group's meetings.

The following are some of my observations about efforts to convert supernaturalists to atheistic Naturalism and to Humanism.

I have personally noticed that it is extraordinarily hard to change a person's core beliefs.

By means of Craigslist posts and by means of my Yahoo group I have been trying to attract people interested in promoting Naturalism and Humanism to others, but thus far I have failed to attract anyone to the cause. By means of Craigslist posts and by means of my Yahoo group I also have been trying to attract those who are interested about learning the evidence of Naturalism (including evolution) but I have not found any interest by those means.

For those who love the concept of supernaturalism far more than they appreciate natural explanations for things, my conclusion is that there is almost no chance to dispel their beliefs in some kind of god, even if they can be persuaded to stop believing in organized religion and in a particular kind of god.

In light of the above, I am now spending more time in trying to state the concepts and teachings of Naturalism and Humanism in the "language" of the Christian Bible through my creation of an adaptation of the Christian Bible (including the Apocryphal books of the Catholic and Orthodox Bibles). It is hoped that such a new book which converts biblical concepts into Naturalistic and Humanistic concepts, while having a quasi-religious "feel" will attract some Bible reading God-believers. I shared some of my "rewritten" biblical verses with some atheists (both Humanists and non-Humanists), some non-atheistic (ones open minded to the idea of a deistic god) Secular Humanists, a theologically conservative (but somewhat socially liberal) Christian, a fundamentalist Christian, some members of a congregation/community of Secular Humanistic Judaism, a minister of a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, a Buddhist god-believer (that is, a Buddhist who also believes in a god), and to people who believe in some kind of "higher power" but not in any organized religion. Many of them, perhaps even the majority of them, said they liked it. A fundamentalist Christian even urged me to post it on YouTube, but I don't know if he was somewhat joking (or maybe he thought that what I wrote was funny). I think that their responses are a very good indication that my approach has a very good chance of attracting some Christian people (and by "Christian" I mean those who identify themselves as being Christian, irregardless of what specific doctrines they believe in) and other religious people towards a non-theistic belief system and maybe even to a purely Naturalistic one.

In talking with some conservative Christians about my ideas of a Humanistic Biblicalist guidebook (the book described above) they seemed to find it reassuring that some aspects of some Christian teachings (such as some of the ethical teachings) would be preserved in such a book, though the book would be promoting Humanism instead of supernaturalism.

However it takes a great deal of time to write a new book which is derived from the Bible, as a Naturalistic and Humanistic interpretive adaptation of the Bible. I am not even a third of the way finished in my adaptation of the New Covenant/Testament. Thus far it seems that the New Covenant is a far better source for the adaptation than the Old Covenant. So far I have seen hardly any Old Covenant verses that I can use for the adaptation. Some of the Apocrypha look useful as a source of adaptations.