addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Humanists of Greater Portland Meetup Message Board › Should we Humanists (nationwide) start marching in support of Catholic Nuns

Should we Humanists (nationwide) start marching in support of Catholic Nuns in their struggle against the Pope and the Vatican?

Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,041
Should we Humanists (nationwide) start marching in support of Catholic Nuns in their struggle against the Pope and the Vatican? See the news articles called "Protesters back U.S. nuns in standoff with Vatican" and see "Why the Pope Hates Nuns".
Gavin
Atheistic-ExJW
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 2,045
Should we Humanists (nationwide) start marching in support of Catholic Nuns in their struggle against the Pope and the Vatican? See the news articles called "Protesters back U.S. nuns in standoff with Vatican" and see "Why the Pope Hates Nuns".

Some of you might have misinterpreted my prior post. If that is the case, hopefully the following will clarify matters.

The articles mention the Vatican started causing problems to the organization of the American nuns because the nuns are taking some Humanist positions, such as the following: recognizing that because women are persons they thus should not be sexually discriminated against from becoming priests, that contraceptives should not be barred to Catholic women, etc. Since Humanism in its various forms promotes sexual equality and contraceptive rights, perhaps individual Humanists should show their support with the nuns in these matters, despite we being outsiders of the Catholic church. For example, in the civil rights movement whites and Jews joined blacks in protesting for blacks obtaining equal rights. Men protested with women for women to obtain the right to right to vote and other rights. Non-gays joined gays in protesting for gay rights. The increased human rights of blacks, women, and gays was largely the result of individuals with some Humanist views joining them in protests for more human rights.

Many of us Humanists and other atheists criticize the Catholic church for barring women from becoming priests and for trying to bar women for using contraceptives and for the church trying to get laws passed which hinder access to contraceptives. Many of the atheist organizations say they are for freedom of religion (and freedom of non-religion). So shouldn't we, as individuals, possibly show that we mean those things by showing that we stand up with the nuns in their efforts to obtain such rights for women? This is not about standing up for religious proselytizing; this is about standing up for group's effort to obtain more human rights, rights that Humanism says it values.

Note, I did not ask if Humanist organizations (such as HGP) should get involved in the protests; I asked if Humanists should get involved in the protests. I was talking about Humanists as individuals, not as organizations. Just because I posted the question in a forum of an organization, does not mean I am asking if the organization should get involved. I was asking if individual Humanists should get involved.

I think that Paul Kurtz said that Secular Humanists should work with religious people and religious organizations in regards to obtaining more of the goals of Humanism. Such an idea might be a good one.