The Los Angeles User Experience Meetup Message Board The Los Angeles User Experience Meetup Discussion Forum › About The Los Angeles User Experience Meetup

About The Los Angeles User Experience Meetup

Crystal Ehrlich, U...
Group Organizer
Santa Monica, CA

Hi Folks,

I wanted to share something with you on the more administrative side of running The Los Angeles User Experience Meetup.

As you may realize, we are completely run by our volunteer efforts. That means if there is a change among the volunteer leadership team, the group runs the risk of becoming dormant. I think every UX group in our area has gone through a dormant period when programming completely stopped. We want to be proactive and make sure this don't happen.

To run this group requires a lot of passion and time, and, not surprisingly, folks burn out after a few years. Those hard-working volunteer organizers, who have paid their dues, are still incredible valuable to us and we want to retain them and have them mentor the newer organizers. We have created a term we use amongst our group called "executive adviser". This is not an official tile, because, technically speaking, we do not have any titles in our group. The titles you see are the default ones that Meetup gives us. We want to remain a flat organization. Nonetheless, we value and want to retain those who have contributed so much to the growth of the group in the past and know the history it.

To address the issue of future-proofing our group, we are expanding our advisory-like roles within the group. So, please help me welcome our first two advisory experts:

For those of you who volunteer at our events, you play a vital role too. I would urge everyone in the group to volunteer and become involved. You help the group in more ways than you realize.

We are always looking for people to help at the welcome desk, folks to tweet (Hilary and Alberta rule!), people to take lots of photos, those to help with filming the event and more. If you come and see something that needs to be done, please jump in and help. And, if you have an idea to help take the group to the next level, let's give it a shot. Just contact the organizers of the group and share your idea.

Thanks for being an important part of the UX community! Long live UX in Los Angeles!

Best, Crystal
949-331-6762