addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

IGDA Victoria Message Board › GGJ Venue

GGJ Venue

Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 12
Ok, so I am starting this thread in hopes that a venue will materialize. I went by Stained last night on my way home from the VDev meet up and found out that we won't be able to hold a jam there. For 48hrs of consecutive access, we would need to come up with 2400 dollars. We can do the jam for less at the Travellers in and get it catered to boot. So we still need a venue.

Any suggestions would be great
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 2
I am not sure what you might have to do to convince them to let you use it, but there is lots of (relatively) unused space at the salvation army downtown that you might be able to rent for super cheap (it might be restricted as to what days of the week it's available).
There are also a few other places downtown that are often used to host soup lunches for homeless that are also relatively unused most of the time... as most church space is.

Liability would be the biggest issue with all of these places, and you might need to put down a large sum of money as collateral... but barring any theft or damages, you would likely get it back.

If all you want is a significant amount of space for very cheap, then there are definitely options out there... its just knowing who to talk to about it.

I will see what I can do as far as finding out who you would have to talk to... but I would leave the working out the deal up to you guys.

Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 10
Maybe you can rent the party room at this place:

http://www.blazeonlin...­

:P
A former member
Post #: 6
I think in the guidelines for a GGJ venue its suggested we have access to common development tools available to those wishing to join in (other than us awesome people anyways).

You have to factor in that there will be other people who might not have a laptop who will be wanting to join in.

I'll go on there and see what's what and I'll post an update :)
Fieran
user 12563726
Victoria, BC
Post #: 13

This sounds great Colton. Think you could try and chase the details down? By the sounds of it, we expect around 20 participants for GGJ this year. That number might be a little bigger if we cooperate with the CSCU.

F
Brandon B.
user 13146533
Victoria, BC
Post #: 3

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe they are in business any more... at least they aren't where they say they are anymore.
You might notice that nothing on their site (or facebook page) has been updated since May.
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 11

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe they are in business any more... at least they aren't where they say they are anymore.
You might notice that nothing on their site (or facebook page) has been updated since May.

You are probably right. I couldn't send an email to them...
A former member
Post #: 9
Well, I've been thinking and if we want to limit our venue to maybe just 10 people(or even just members of the vdev community who want to come), maybe one of our members has a house/apartment/basement/room that has enough power outlets to maybe just host it at someone's house.

It would bring the cost to near 0$(maybe we can all pitch 50$ each for food/drinks/ prizes?) and then just host it there.

At 10 people that would bring 500$, figure 1-200$ for food for 48 hours, leaving maybe 100$ for the person brave enough to have a bunch of sweaty nerds in they're house, and maybe just have a couple of raffles for some video game swag/ for people to win back part/all of their 50$ pitch?

This is assuming that we all have a relatively portable workstation. Personally I do everything on a laptop and all I need is a corner to work in lol

Anyways, anyone brave enough to host this way? We'd find the 10 people who are interested and have a mandatory meetup where the person willing to host the things lays down his terms.(i.e. Stay out of my damn fridge, and we must contain ourselves to specific rooms) It'll also give the host a chance to see if he's comfortable with everyone; because that is going to be the biggest issue. I would offer my place up but I live with my mother and there really isnt room for alot of people. (There's also only 1 spare power outlet haha)

We could make it an event on here, and if we need a couple of extra people then we can make a call out on the GGJ site?

Let me know what you think
Colton P.
user 12690936
Victoria, BC
Post #: 14
I would be down for paying 50 buckaroos for this, but I think there might not be enough space. Maybe if someone has a big mostly empty basement or something. I can think of 2 or 3 of my friends who are probably down for going to a GGJ already.

Perhaps if nothing comes through for a venue in Victoria we could rent a bus or something and go to Vancouver on the ferry? I don't know if that is that much more cost effective, but it could be fun. And we could probably get a deal on a hotel/restaurant/whatevers.

Well, I've been thinking and if we want to limit our venue to maybe just 10 people(or even just members of the vdev community who want to come), maybe one of our members has a house/apartment/basement/room that has enough power outlets to maybe just host it at someone's house.

It would bring the cost to near 0$(maybe we can all pitch 50$ each for food/drinks/ prizes?) and then just host it there.

At 10 people that would bring 500$, figure 1-200$ for food for 48 hours, leaving maybe 100$ for the person brave enough to have a bunch of sweaty nerds in they're house, and maybe just have a couple of raffles for some video game swag/ for people to win back part/all of their 50$ pitch?

This is assuming that we all have a relatively portable workstation. Personally I do everything on a laptop and all I need is a corner to work in lol

Anyways, anyone brave enough to host this way? We'd find the 10 people who are interested and have a mandatory meetup where the person willing to host the things lays down his terms.(i.e. Stay out of my damn fridge, and we must contain ourselves to specific rooms) It'll also give the host a chance to see if he's comfortable with everyone; because that is going to be the biggest issue. I would offer my place up but I live with my mother and there really isnt room for alot of people. (There's also only 1 spare power outlet haha)

We could make it an event on here, and if we need a couple of extra people then we can make a call out on the GGJ site?

Let me know what you think

A former member
Post #: 10
New update, I had a meeting with my employer today and he said he might be able to get us access to the conference room at the office he's renting.

He said if it's 10ish people we should fit alright, so that could be an option. I still think that the 50$ pitch for food/prizes is a good plan though. Gives us a little bit more incentive to make something awesome haha

I'll keep pestering him about it and let you guys know the situation. :)