DC Indie and Local Music Meetup Message Board › Bands Promotiing themselves on Meetup

Bands Promotiing themselves on Meetup

Melanie
emdupuis
Ossining, NY
Post #: 33
Hi Great Big Music Meetup Group,

This is Melanie from very small, oldster Aging Hipter music group. I have a question: how do you folks deal with bands promoting themselves on your meetup?

Thanks for the input,

Melanie
Stacy
user 8960177
Washington, DC
Post #: 4
Hey Melanie!

I personally think it's fine for individual bands to post their shows as suggestions or on the discussion board, but not fine for them to create an official event as a host (this should be someone who can actually meet up with people during the show) or announce an event (meaning send an email blast to the group about it). This group's email list should not be a free-for-all promotional list for events that no one is actually organizing as a Meetup event.

This group prevents this free-for-all by restricting certain functions to organizers (assistant organizer, co-organizer, or organizer). Someone has to be an organizer to make an event an official scheduled event and to send out an announcement about an event. A non-organizer can be a host (Event Host) if they contact the organizer team and let us know that they are willing to organize and meet up with people at the show.

You can apply these same restrictions for your Meetup group by going to Group Tools > Group Settings > Basics. You can edit who can suggest events and at what point they are announced (if an organizer announces them, if at least 3 people are going, or anyone).

Hope this is helpful!
Stacy
Melanie
emdupuis
Ossining, NY
Post #: 34
Hey Stacy!

Thanks for this. Your suggestion makes perfect sense. I"m going to move your note to the Aging Hipster discussion page for our organizers to discuss.

Thanks,

Melanie