addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Indy Film Buffs Meetup Group Message Board › Hot Tub Time Machine meetup. Get in. The water is funny.

Hot Tub Time Machine meetup. Get in. The water is funny.

Jason W.
user 9906999
Greenwood, IN
Post #: 24
It's time for some laughs for this group. I know that Safety Last at the IMA was a silent comedy, but I saw that meetup as moreso for the orchestral accompaniment. Especially with those pricey tickets. Other than that film, I can't recall the last time we had a meetup for a straight up comedy. It seems like most of the stuff we've seen has been of the genre variety and usually of a somber or serious nature. Maybe Valentine's Day was amusing but I'll never know. It'd probably make me laugh at the bad acting and overly contrived situations. I'm ready for a rowdy, raucuous comedy of the Hangover variety. Thus, I give you Hot Tub Time Machine. This movie looks hilarious from the previews. And history shows you cannot go wrong with John Cusack in a skiing-related movie (Better Off Dead is a classic). Plus, it has a newly revitalized from his work on Community, Chevy Chase. From the tongue in cheek delivery of the titular plot device in the trailer, this movie embraces its clearly retarded premise as just a convenient way to segue into a parody of all things 80's. I'm all for that and also a big fan of Craig Robinson. I'm hoping that this movie can give him the wider recognition he has deserved for quite some time, much like Hangover did for Zach Galifinakis. I know I'm usually advocating early morning screenings for most movies to keep it on the cheap, but I always prefer to see a comedy like this in a packed theater. A setting like that just seems to make the laughs come that much harder as if they're contagious. It's definitely something that draws from the communal experience, and I'm willing to pay more for that. The movie is slated for a March 26th release, so I'm interested in seeing it either that Friday night or Saturday night at a later showing like around 9 or 10pm. That way I can get a sufficient buzz prior to the show. When I start receiving some feedback about what works for others, I'll adjust the plans accordingly. The venue will be at the Kerasotes 16 on the south side.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm interested in seeing this too.
A former member
Post #: 1
It looks like it's either going to be hilarious or painfully horrible. Hopefully the former, but I would like to see it regardless. I have plans for Friday already, so if Saturday eve is doable, that would be great. If not, I suppose I will be forced to see it without the benefit of a meetup group. By the way- is there a "drink before the movie" meetup group? :)
A former member
Post #: 34
My feelings about this are similar to Jessica's....but a sufficient buzz (as Jason suggests) might help it lean toward her "former"! LOL

I can't do Saturday. I can do Friday if it's later. I have a party to go to at 6:30, but maybe we could all meet for drinks before a later movie? Just a suggestion. (Krazy St. @ 31 & Thompson, I think??)

Anyway, let me know, and as always, if it fits into my schedule....I'm there!
A former member
Post #: 29
I am willing to go whenever. Just tell me what time and where to meet for drinks prior and after the show. Awesome Jason!!!!!
Melissa
user 11413367
Greenwood, IN
Post #: 18
I've had a thing for John Cusack ever since I saw him in "The Adventures of Natty Gann." I was a young girl then but I knew we we would meet one summer and maybe he would bring his radio and we would bond over a shared love of Peter Gabriel and endearing social misfits. I'm in, just send me the details of when and where and what time
Scott
Scott87
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 18
I'm interested. Just let me know when!
Jason W.
user 9906999
Greenwood, IN
Post #: 25
So far it seems we have one preference for Friday and one preference for Saturday, with everyone else apparently open to either. This doesn't really help form my decision. I need more people to weigh in with a preference. I am open to either night, but I'd prefer Friday because that way if I wind up working overtime on Saturday, as I have been doing a lot lately, I won't be coming out for the show after spending 10 hours working. Especially considering that drinking will be involved (which it definitely will be). And I would like to get some drinking in before the show. I've never been to that Krazy Street place, but I know it is conveniently located near the theater. I'm sure its alcohol is as potent as any other place. With this movie certain to be playing to packed theaters its opening weekend, we'll need to be at the theater at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the show to make sure we can all find seats together. That means if we're going to meet for drinks before the show, I'd want to do that about an hour and a half before the show would be scheduled to start so we're not just slamming them down and rushing off to the theater. I'd say we should also purchase tickets online as soon as they become available and we've made our final decision for a showtime, because I can imagine this selling out on the opening nights.
A former member
Post #: 30
Lets do Friday and meetup for drinks prior to show. Good idea about getting tickets online rather than trying to get in at the theather. See all of you there.
Melissa
user 11413367
Greenwood, IN
Post #: 20
sorry guys, I'll have to miss out on the hilarity. have plans for fri and sat night