Indy Film Buffs Meetup Group Message Board › AMC takes over Kerasotes

AMC takes over Kerasotes

Joe
JoePez
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 199
I just got an e-mail from AMC Theaters saying that they have now taken over Kerasotes. Not sure of the exact timing, if Kerasotes will now become AMC, or if Kerasotes will close entirely. I could see them lowering the boom on Glendale, unfortunately, but they'd be wise to keep Traders Point, and the Greenwood Kerasotes is miles better than AMC Greenwood.

I know that in this age of multiplexes, one theater chain is pretty much interchangeable with another. Still, Kerasotes has been my favorite multiplex in the area. I admit, mainly due to the popcorn (AMC popcorn does not hold a candle to it, IMO). But Kerasotes had (some) personality, and personality goes a long way. Like that pig in Green Acres.

I also enjoyed Kerasote's Five Buck Club. AMC was vague on whether they'd continue that, but I hope they do.

AMC does have comfortable seats, some good digital screens, the all-important self-butter station, and, uh, mozzarella sticks. So it's got that going for it, which is nice.

What's your reaction to AMC taking over Kerasotes? Will you miss "movies with magic" or are you glad this is happening?
A former member
Post #: 37
I checked for the prices on the upcoming meetup "Prince of Persia". It looks like that early showings before 11:55am is still $5.00. Thank goodness. Hi Joe.
Joe
JoePez
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 200
Hi Peachy! Yeah, that's one thing that they have in common- weekend movies before noon are $5 at both places. That's quite nice.

Kerasotes also has a separate deal called Five Buck Club, where (most) movies that have been out for at 2 weeks only cost $5, day or night, any day of week. There was no cost to join this club, only a week or two lag time between signing up and getting the card in the mail. It's a sweet deal that I hope AMC considers keeping.
Helen
user 8292593
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 177
I'm not happy about the takeover. My customer service experience has been much better at Kerasotes theaters than AMC theaters and I'll miss the five buck club (I know AMC hasn't said definitively that the program is being stopped, but their silence is suggestive). The Kerasotes popcorn was definitely better too.

For selfish reasons- it's the closest theater to my house- I really hope Glendale isn't closed. The screens are better at other theaters, but for some movies you just really want to drive 10 minutes and be there already.
Jason W.
user 9906999
Greenwood, IN
Post #: 37
I would have rather seen Landmark take over Kerasotes instead of AMC. The main reason being that potentially they would start serving beer and liquor, like they do at the Keystone theater, at the Showplace 16 on the south side, which is the closest theater to me. Another good potential byproduct of Landmark taking over Kerasotes instead of AMC would be that they could play the wide released mainstream, dumbed down, lowest common denominator movies at the big multiplex theaters, and they could play only limited release, hard to find elsewhere, intelligent and though provoking movies at their art theater. They don't need to be playing movies like Iron Man 2 and Sex and the City 2 at a supposed art theater. There is no art to those movies and they're playing on enough screens elsewhere.
Helen
user 8292593
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 178
Looks like the five buck club will be phased out. From an email recv'd today from AMC:

For a limited time only
AMC Theatres will continue to offer the Five Buck Club for current Five Buck Club members only

A former member
Post #: 34
Looks like the five buck club will be phased out. From an email recv'd today from AMC:

For a limited time only
AMC Theatres will continue to offer the Five Buck Club for current Five Buck Club members only

Of course that makes total sense given the state of the economy. I was being sarcastic. When most people are struggling and have limited means of course the entertainment industry only cares about the rich. I wonder if enough of us little poor people boycotted AMC how much biz they would loose. Probably wouldn't matter I am sure there is enough rich people out there it wouldn't hurt them. I am sorry that just really ticks me off. I am one of poor little people out there, and when you try to find cheaper ways of doing things and they get taken away it feels like a "lets hurt them more while they are already down." I think I won't be going to an AMC theater anytime soon. Guess I won't be going to many theaters period. After all I can only afford the five buck club.
Joe
JoePez
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 201
I can definitely understand your frustration, Heather, and I am sure a lot of people feel that way. I went with my girlfriend to see The Lovely Bones on one of the last nights it was in theaters. The theater was packed, and I am sure a big reason for that was five buck club.

At least AMC still has the $5 movies on weekends before noon, plus the "concession saver" where you can get $5 in concession money at the box office for $4. For now, anyway...
A former member
Post #: 19
Here's the latest news from AMC.

Five Buck Club Members

We’ve heard your love of the Five Buck Club and your concerns for our current titles. Just to clarify, all previous Five Buck Club movies are still available at $5 at the participating theatres below.

Additionally, we believe in offering movies at a variety of pricing options and we will continue to offer all our guests many opportunities to see $5 movies. Starting June 18, our normal price for all movies, all day, any time Monday through Thursday* will be $5 – no club or cards necessary. You will be able to see the latest movies for $5 and we’re happy to make this pricing available to all our guests. On weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday and some holidays) before noon, you will also be able to see $5 movies at most theatres. The Five Buck Club will no longer be available or necessary after June 18.

For the time being AMC will continue to offer the Five Buck Club for CURRENT FBC members only. The process for purchasing a ticket for a movie in the Five Buck Club will not change. Just present your Five Buck Club card at newly acquired AMC Theatres locations to receive the special pricing. At this time AMC Theatres is not accepting new members into the Five Buck Club.

(Former Kerasotes theatres that are excluded from this pricing are: City North 14, Webster Place 11, Greenwood 14, Showplace ICON at Roosevelt Collection, Showplace ICON at the West End and Showplace 14, Secaucus. Bolingbrook Showplace 12, The Glen 10, Olde Town 14, Colony Square 12, Glendale Showplace 12 will participate for a limited time.)

Cathy

Helen
user 8292593
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 179
Thanks for posting that Cathy. The announcement about $5 pricing all day on weekdays is exciting- sounds like an all-out price war is brewing with the other Indy-area theater chains.