Indy Gaming Message Board LFG - Any kind of game, any side of town › Help Me To Find Local Gamers, Please?

Help Me To Find Local Gamers, Please?

Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 4
Hello,

I need your help. I live in Warsaw, Poland. I am an expat Canadian. I am looking for other expats living in Warsaw with whom to tabletop role play. You may not know someone in Poland but someone you know might know somebody. I need you to help me get the word out.

People move to Poland for many reasons: teach English, study abroad, transfer from work, and follow parents, just to name a few. However, neither the embassies nor the international schools are helpful in finding these people in Poland. Your help is needed to find them from America (or however far your network extends). All the local help typical to finding gamers is in Polish. (I do not understand Polish.)

So I am asking your help for a very unconventional search. MAYBE someone here will have a friend who knows somebody who has moved to Poland and is as isolated as I am. It would be great to meet them! The world is small enough so that is a possibility.

My only requirements are the following: 16+ years of age, non-Polish, living in Warsaw. The person can be completely new to RPGs.

I invite you to contact me directly, either by eMail or via Twitter. And please spread the word around about my search. Communicate it and propagate it. To be successful I need many voices helping me. Please be one of those.

Thanks for your attention,
R. A.

Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 7
So far 20 individual "looks" at this topic... and is it because I am looking for American players in Poland that I get no replies? Are there no Americans here in this group... or there are no Americans who network outside of America? Or is it just one of those things where we look at the request and immediately decide we do not want to be involved?

Can anyone give me any tips? If I sound desperate, I am. I have no social network of friends or family around me and I am trying to change that situation. For the past 10 years I have not been desperate. I can personae "successful" devil-may-care as good as the next guy. Not even the smallest perfume of desperation. Still that secret has not attracted a social network. In fact, I am not alone with being alone as the expatriate experience.

So I am dropping my guard; allowing you into my circumstance. You guys deal with player recruitment every week. So YOU are the experts. You probably never try to recruit over large distances so you have much to learn from this topic, and I am happy to share insights from this experiment. This topic can come in handy for you if you ever find yourself moving.... You don't have to move to Poland, but I suspect the skills are transferable to any locale.

So what are your tips and tactics? What would you do? Maybe I have already done it. May be I haven't and I will tell you how it worked for me. Can we discuss this? How can we find players out of state?
A former member
Post #: 61
Here are a couple of links you might want to check out.

Dungeons & Dragons Encounter Group - Warsaw, Poland

and

Foreigners in Warsaw

Other than that the best way to find local players is to visit all the local book stores and comic or gaming stores you can find and either post a message on their bulletin boards or talk to the person running the store, they are usually the best source for local gaming info.

Sorry I do not know anyone currently living in poland, but I hope these tips might help.

Good Luck.
Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 8
Thanks for the response! I do much appreciate it. Every response brings the possibility of someone else noticing the topic. The more people talking, the more the discussion spreads and the more the message sticks. I need all the help I can get here.

The D&D Encounter Group is mine, run through my girlfriend's profile. So, too, is a group on LinkedIn that attracts English-speaking expatriates from all over the world. I just put up a link at the Foreigners in Warsaw group. Our group has 10 members including myself.

There are no FLGS's here. It's like stepping back in time here in many ways. The Church is preaching against RPGs as demonic practices from the pulpit - my girlfriend commented on a link she saw on Facebook. Schools, where I try to find foreign English teachers and English speaking international students, are uncooperative.

The WotC's Polish publisher places very little product in retail bookstores. They have a shop in the middle of no-where, where they sell. I tried to work with them to move product - at the request of WotC Europe HQ - but the resistence was incredible. After two personal meetings, where the Belgians flew in to personally handle the situation, I gave up.

Not many expats shopping there anyway but I was trying to get more locals into D&D at the time. I worked in PR at the time.

I would love to have more ideas how/where to find American RPGers before they travel to Poland. (Even people who have never played but expect to come to Poland and are afraid of losing their social network.)
Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 9
Still looking for new players. The next game is set for Friday at 14:00.

I prefer players who have never played before but will welcome veterans as well. It's a great way to meet people.
Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 10
The best way for you to help me find new players is by saying these three words often:
1) RPG
2) English
3) Poland

You may find that someone you know, or someone you may know who may know: someone has moved to Poland for 1-3 years.

Because the group is exclusively for foreigners, we have regular unavoidable player attrition because people will go home. People who arrive (or likely have arrived to sit at home for years before their sentence is over) can discover people who share a common element and fun through RPGs.

No experience is necessary. Spread the word, please. Give it a try.

http://www.rpggamefin...­
Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 11
Do you know any one coming to or already in Warsaw, Poland?

This is the place where the Battle of the Nations is happening next week. Battle of the Nations…? That's the full contact medieval fighting event including mass battles, jousting and duels between representatives of many countries - Team USA included. I would really be surprised if folks in Chicago do not know of an American in Poland by a maximum 6-degrees of separation.

So please help us recruit.
The RPG group is Warsaw needs more English-speaking players.
Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 13
I am giving this a bump up so you remember we have a game in English for foreigners in Poland. The Chicago area has many persons of Polish ancestry and may be travelling to Warsaw - the capital city of Poland. Maybe someone is coming for a year to teach English, the pay is pretty good is pretty good here.

Anyway, no one will think about us here unless there is some awareness. So BUMP!

You never know when this English language group in Warsaw Poland could come up in conversation.
Richard
R.A.-in-Poland
Warsaw, PL
Post #: 14
HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE

And remember, if you find yourself in Warsaw, Poland, there is an English language game waiting for you with a bunch of international players from all over the world. We play together and form each other's social network. We have a Facebook page, if you are on Facebook; and you can always reach me through this meet up.

https://www.facebook....­

May 2013 be everything you need economically, socially and dynamically to enjoy peace and happiness for you and your family.
Brian L.
user 12872722
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 55
Merry Christmas to you Richard; glad your prospering in Poland! Have a Happy New Year!