addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Indy Gaming Message Board RPGs › Traveller RPG anyone?

Traveller RPG anyone?

A former member
Post #: 81
Folks,

I would very much like to get back into Traveller. I'm thinking about starting a weekly or bi-weekly game on Wednesday evenings at the Arsenal (Virginia Ave.) Players need not have any experience with the system. I'm shooting for a group of at least five of us (four players plus GM). I will offer to run the game, though I'd love to play as well if the opportunity permits.

For those who are not familiar with the game, I recommend checking out the Wikipedia entry on "Traveller (Role-Playing Game)" to help you determine whether you may be interested.

I am thinking about creating characters using the Mongoose Core Rulebook, and then using that source and the original GDW ("little black") books as a reference for GMing the game. I own all needed materials for setting up and playing the game... no knowledge of the system is required. We would develop starting characters together (which allows for the use of a campaign "skill package").

I'd also like to give PC's the ability to select some sort of small boon during character creation. Those whose characters appear to be less capable than others could get additional help, perhaps in terms of giving them extra equipment, additional shares of a ship, TAS membership, Psi potential / testing, interpersonal or organizational contacts, additional skill levels, etc... provided that the selection makes sense for the character concept.

I am open to having the starting location be either within the Imperium or elsewhere. The timeframe that I personally prefer is somewhere around the time of the Fifth Frontier War (before, during, or after). The campaign type can be any mix of Merchant, Military, and Exploration themes (the "standard" campaign usually has a mix of these).

If interested, please feel free to send me your contact info (name and email or phone, at least) and answers to the following:

1) Would you prefer playing weekly or every other week?
2) Do you have a preference on gameworld setting?
3) What campaign type would you like to see?

Thanks,
Dave
Wesley S.
wesleystreet
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 10
Hi Dave,

I'm actually putting together a Traveller game using the 2300AD campaign setting. If you have any interest just shoot me a message.

Thanks!
~Wes
A former member
Post #: 6
If there are open spots, I don't yet know Traveler, but would be interested in getting into a hard SF tabletop (which I believe Traveler represents).
A former member
Post #: 82
@Wes: I don't know anything about 2300, and I'm pretty set on the location and day of the week. If you are not looking to start at game at the Arsenal on Wednesdays, I would not be available.

@Austin: I guess it depends on your definition of hard Sci-Fi... Is it a plausible future, I'd say yes (I figure someday someone will invent FTL travel anyway). Is the technology available to us in the near future... then no. FTL travel is by "jumps" which take a week (give or take) no matter the distance travelled. Communications are only as fast as the fastest ship... so I like to think of it as Pony Express era in space.

I hope that helps. Drop me a note if you are interested.
Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 8
@Dave: count me in! Wednesdays are great, as is Arsenal (I live in Arsenal Heights).
A former member
Post #: 83
Sounds great, Austin. We're looking for three more to join us then. If you haven't seen the wiki on the game, you might want to check it out.

I'll try to remember to bring the Core Rulebook with me on Wednesdays when I hang out there in case anyone would like to stop by and take a look at it.
A former member
Post #: 85
We are ready to begin our game. Our first session (primarily for character creation and general group info) will be this Wednesday, 11/7 at 6:00 p.m.

Please email me by Tuesday evening if you plan to attend but may be late so I can know to wait a bit for you.

Thanks,
Dave
Scott S.
user 64383442
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 1
Are you all still playing Traveller? I'm a big fan of the game system. I'd also be up for Stars Without Number as well.
A former member
Post #: 87
Are you all still playing Traveller?

We are playing Mongoose Traveller most Wednesdays at the Arsenal. (Going forward, I'm thinking that we will take off the first Wednesday of the month.) Our start time is 6:30 p.m. in order to let everyone get there from work, but I'm usually there from 5:00 p.m. or so setting up.

The group has gotten near the end of its current assignment... after a half a year of travel down the Spinward main, the crew now is investigating an Ancient site.

You are welcome to visit and watch a bit, or to join us. Our current crew includes two NPC's (one of which is a PC who may or may not rejoin the game at some point) and five PC's.

Feel free to email me directly if you have any questions,

Dave
Scott S.
user 64383442
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 2
I've taken over Referee responsibilities for David.

Join us Wednesdays nights for our Traveller RPG campaign: Players take on the role of officers and crew of the Mutual Sustainability Initiative (MSI) Ship Endurance, on a mission of exploration, discovery, and occasional gunboat diplomacy in the year 3200.

The campaign is troupe-style, meaning that the space vessel Endurance is the central focus of the campaign, and players portray between 1 and 3 characters (such as a bridge officer or exploration scout) depending on the nature of the week’s mission. This enables players to jump in and out of the campaign at their convenience. Play starts at 6:30pm, but new players who need to create a character should show up by 6:00pm.

It has been nearly six hundred years since the Terran Mandate’s Psion-powered Jumpgate network collapsed, sending humanity’s far-flung interstellar colonies into isolation. The agricultural world of Verdant turned to its Allocation and Management Artificial Intelligence (ALMA) for survival. ALMA decreed that all high technology be stockpiled in the capital city of Verdant. Society split into two classes - the technological urban class, and the more populous agrarian class. While the agrarians are brilliant survivalists, capable of improvising tools and structures out of twigs, vines, stones, they have next to no knowledge of technology and tend to hold magical beliefs about it.

Since the MSI rediscovered FTL drives ~150 years ago, it has expanded its sphere of influence to include six other star systems. Several wars have been fought, including an ongoing campaign against the fearsome Halis Planned State. Space pirates and raiders remain an ever-present threat.

(Special thanks to David Chang, David Bueche, and Samantha Kopas who contributed extensively to the campaign background and write-up. Credit where credit is due. Great job folks! )

To join the campaign, please contact Referee Scott Salmon (ariannaflint@gmail.com).