Indy Gaming Message Board Minatures Historical or Otherwise › D&D miniatures changes

D&D miniatures changes

A former member
Post #: 23
From Wizards:

We have received a tremendous amount of feedback from fans regarding the D&D Miniatures line, and have made some exciting changes for 2009. Here’s what’s coming to a shelf near you!
Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures -- Player’s Handbook Heroes

More than anything else, D&D players have been asking us for more PC (player character) minis. The D&D Heroes line features high-quality miniatures representing iconic player character races and classes described in the Player’s Handbook and Player’s Handbook 2 core rulebooks. Now players will be able to find the miniature that best represents their PC, and Dungeon Masters can use these figures to represent non-player characters in their adventures.

Launching in Spring 2009, the first D&D Heroes series features six different packs (18 figures total):

* Martial Heroes 1
* Martial Heroes 2
* Arcane Heroes 1
* Arcane Heroes 2
* Divine Heroes 1
* Primal Heroes 1

Each package contains 3 PC minis: 2 males and 1 female, and 3 unique power cards featuring brand new class powers. All three of the figures in the package will be visible so you’ll know exactly which pack to pick for your game.

The D&D Heroes will be refreshed regularly in order to continue to deliver new PC options to players. There are two series scheduled for 2009 and three scheduled for 2010. MSRP $10.99.
Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures -- Monster Manual

Also new to the 2009 lineup are Monster Manual themed releases. These sets are designed to be what every Dungeon Master (or D&D enthusiast) needs to create riveting adventures and exciting encounters at all levels of play.

Releasing in Spring 2009, the first D&D Monsters set is called Monster Manual: Dangerous Delves. This will be a 40-miniature set containing both medium and large sized figures. Each semi-randomized “booster” box contains 5 minis: 1 visible figure, 1 rare figure, 1 uncommon figure and 2 common figures, as well as full-color D&D Dungeon Delve stat cards for each miniature. MSRP $14.99.

Upon the release of D&D Monsters and D&D Heroes, we will no longer package the D&D Miniatures line in its current configuration (fully randomized booster packs and huge packs). This means that November’s set -- D&D Miniatures: Demonweb -- will be the final release sold in fully randomized booster packs.

Read more here: D&D mini changes
Brian
Belethorn
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 99
Very dissappointing changes in my book... it just seems like bad marketing all around. Displaying the large mini is only gonna mean that all of the dragons and other good figures will be snatched up by collectors before players can even get to them. Meanwhile packs that have bad figures displayed will sit on shelves forever, preventing retailers from making a profit or ordering more. The product pool will quickly stagnate. Plus, it seems a little extreme to be paying $27 for what used to cost $15 (now it's $15 for 5 monsters and $12 for 3 PCs). Even if quality improves, that's a lot to spend on minis. Nevermind the fact that they're crippling retailers ability to sell Demonweb boosters by announcing the skirmish game will no longer be supported and D&D XP will host the final official tournament.

I think WotC needs to hire some better marketing people and pay more attention to the needs/desires of grass roots players.
A former member
Post #: 24
Very dissappointing changes in my book... it just seems like bad marketing all around. Displaying the large mini is only gonna mean that all of the dragons and other good figures will be snatched up by collectors before players can even get to them. Meanwhile packs that have bad figures displayed will sit on shelves forever, preventing retailers from making a profit or ordering more. The product pool will quickly stagnate. Plus, it seems a little extreme to be paying $27 for what used to cost $15 (now it's $15 for 5 monsters and $12 for 3 PCs). Even if quality improves, that's a lot to spend on minis. Nevermind the fact that they're crippling retailers ability to sell Demonweb boosters by announcing the skirmish game will no longer be supported and D&D XP will host the final official tournament.

I think WotC needs to hire some better marketing people and pay more attention to the needs/desires of grass roots players.

Well although I am not crazy about paying more for less. They have said they will be "higher" quality, ie 50% more deco ops and better sculpting on Commons, bringing the common to Uncommon looks (some of the nicer looking figs in my mind) and the same with Uncommons going to rares. The Set Hero packs will be of "rare quality" and the picture they showed of the Goliath Hero certainly looks like it would have been a rare in the old format (so that does stand up). You can look on aftermarket of minis and find Rares for $30 a piece.

As far as the good figures being snatched up you can buy online since:
1. Each pack will have it's own SKU # so you'll know you are buying the troll vs the giant.
2. There will be assortment cases with even dist. of visibles and bricks cases with all the same visible so stores can restock.

As far as D&D skirmish: I think its crazy after re-tooling it to v.2.0 just a few months ago ...why did they bother?
oh wait ... Mage Knight killed their game off before going to v.2.0, too !!!!

but let's face it... if you were running a company and an aspect of that company was losing money for the last two years, you would be faced with the same sort of decision. Either dump more money into a losing aspect of the business or change it. I think the change to embrace the rpg side of miniatures was smart, especially since 4e seems more dependent than ever on tactical positions. Whether all their changes are exactly the right ones only time will tell. I think the one change I do not like is the cards; not that the skirmish is being removed so much, but these creatures will have cards with powers that aren't in any books. So I can see keeping up with errata or what 4e calls updates will be increased. The only easy fix, is for the DM to disallow non- book published powers in this regard.
Brian
Belethorn
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 102
I agree about non-book powers. I also don't see why they couldn't keep printed skirmish stats. Even if they don't support the game with official tournaments, the current cards have skirmish stats on one side and game stats on the other. For the prices they're charging, I don't see how it could have been overly difficult to continue doing the same thing.

I guess a lot of my disappointment stems from the fact that I just started getting into DDM, dumped about $500 into building a nice collection for both role-playing and warband building, and now they've discontinued the whole thing. It just sucks.
A former member
Post #: 25
I agree about non-book powers. I also don't see why they couldn't keep printed skirmish stats. Even if they don't support the game with official tournaments, the current cards have skirmish stats on one side and game stats on the other. For the prices they're charging, I don't see how it could have been overly difficult to continue doing the same thing.

I guess a lot of my disappointment stems from the fact that I just started getting into DDM, dumped about $500 into building a nice collection for both role-playing and warband building, and now they've discontinued the whole thing. It just sucks.

Yeah I agree I think the sudden about face tactic is lame. Especially since they put all that effort into the 2.0 version. Plus they are releasing a book for DDM, called Dungeon delves. Which from what I understand is still going to be published. I am not sure why they are continuing with a publication to game they are no longer supporting? *shrug*

I think they really should at least do skirmish PDF's cards for all the new minis on their website DDI. Heck one might think this new source of revenue they are getting from the DDI subscription could support that.
Tod
Orbrover
Franklin, IN
Post #: 16
I second that option, Russell! May as well do the PDF skirmish cards while they're redoing stat cards for the old sets. Just makes sense.
A former member
Post #: 36
I found some pictures of the new style D&D mini heroes line. 4 of them are repaints =( From what I understand that the monsters and the next release of heroes will not have any repaints/ recycled sculpts. Although I am excited about non-randomized minis the paint job seems too flashy almost clown like vibrancy. Nothing an ink wash can't fix.

Alas I am scratching my head, to make sense of this, I am going to buy painted miniatures so I don't have to paint only to repaint a repainted miniature. O'crap I went crossed eyed.

Anyways I have plenty of hero type minis, I could always use more monsters, and I hope WotC plan really pans out.

http://www.amazon.com...­

Tod
Orbrover
Franklin, IN
Post #: 28
Thanks for that Amazon link, Russel. That's the first peek I've had at them.
A former member
Post #: 37
Glad to oblige,
I just wish those pictures were higher resolution.
fugacity
user 7482066
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 59
I agree that the colors don't look great, but then again I almost aways find pics on the web of miniatures tend to be a lot brighter and more colorful than in real life, so there is hope. Also the barbarian (or whatever) in the primal pack with the 12 ft long sword looks pretty dumb.