Indy Gaming Message Board RPGs › What do you use for battle maps?

What do you use for battle maps?

A former member
Post #: 49
In the early days (toward the end of 2 ed.)it was a Hex Chessex vinyl battle map. Then in (3rd ed.)I made a square map on a white wet-dry erase poster.

I currently use a combination between Dwarven Forge terrain, under the DF I use my Game Mastery Flip-maps I highly recommend their tavern one and their market square, and sometimes D&D Dungeon Tiles.

What do you use?
A former member
Post #: 18
I currently have two vinyl hex grid mats that I have used since 3rd edition came out. Even though 3E based things better for square grids I was able to make it work out ok. With my house rule of facing still matters especially in combat it worked out. Previous to that I had a homemade square grid sheet I made from a large sheet of poster board yard stick drawn lines using permanent marker and had Hobby Lobby laminate it so I could use acetate markers on it. That worked good until one of my players broke it.
Hans C.
JediSoth
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 6
If I don't have time to print out and assemble some of Skeleton Key Games tiles, I draw my maps out on my Tact-Tiles. If you're not familiar with them, they're giant puzzle-piece shaped pieces of hard plastic with a 1" grid on them that you can draw on with dry-erase, disassemble and shift around while you're playing. They're currently out of production, but I've heard someone else has the license to produce them now.
Tod
Orbrover
Franklin, IN
Post #: 38
I like the idea of using the flip-mats under the Dwarven Forge walls 'n' such.

I use the vinyl battle-mats, dungeon tiles, Paizo/GameMastery flip-mats, print-outs from Dundjinni and pdf's from various publishers (DriveThruRPG is my favorite site). There's also lots of dungeons from DMs available online and some nice maps from the Wizards web site.

In short - I use whatever I can!

The best set-up I've seen, though, used scanned maps projected from a laptop down onto a white 4x8 dry erase board. Very cool. He knows who he is. :^)
Rob
Bavix
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 18
I do all my maps in Illustrator and Photoshop and I'm lucky enough to have access to a large format inkjet printer at work. It's really nice to be able to just grab the next encounter area and slap it onto the table. I've also worked as a professional RPG cartographer since late 2000 so I have a pretty good library of stuff I can pull from to piece together for my games.
Tod
Orbrover
Franklin, IN
Post #: 41
Might we have seen your work in something, Bavix? I would so love to have a huge printer. I'd hate to see the cost of the ink cartridges though. :^)
Steven H.
user 7956862
Fortville, IN
Post #: 3
I have the vinyl hex map. Would love to get a hold of a laminator over a large hex paper. As much as I'd enjoy printing out from my printer. The cost is extraordinary! I'll need to buy something much more money efficient.
Rob
Bavix
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 19
Might we have seen your work in something, Bavix? :^)

Here's a short list, but it hasn't been updated in several years.

http://www.pen-paper....­
Tod
Orbrover
Franklin, IN
Post #: 43
That's pretty much a great big yes! lol. I have a few of those books, too. Awesome! :^)
Kurt
gtatransam
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 7
I play on a 55" Vizio with a piece of tempered starphire glass on top to protect it.
It's freakin' awesome :)