Indy Gaming Message Board RPGs › Markers

Markers

Trangen
user 3162591
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 13
Just curious, what are people using as markers for 4ed? (talking about things like curses, oaths, mark etc.)

First session we used beer caps... not exactly classy, but it worked for one time. A friend suggested the rings off of 20 oz and 2 liter soda bottles, but you have to collect different colors, so it isn't the fastest thing to get set up.

I have taken the time to paint my beer caps for our next game (just so we have different markings) but I am pretty sure the system is going to be less than perfect.

What do you guys do?
A former member
Post #: 64
Well I bought some 1" wood discs from Michaels and painted some red some blue white gold etc. But as the players levels increased, it was sort of slowing the combat down as more and more conditions became on and off since lifting the minis up to put the markers under them would sometimes topple over the whole combat cluster.

I started using small colored rubberbands instead. That seems to be an improvement over ground marker types. You can easily drape a rubber band over the miniature to mark a condition without disrupting the minis on the battle mat. Milk cartoon rings and pop bottle rings I have seen work well also. If you have a variety colors you can assign duplicate monster types a rubber-band color too to track their damage and power uses also. "Orange rubber band Troll takes x amount of damage and is slowed(blue/white rubber band draped on it)" . Well you get the idea.

My advice is stay away from the markers that go under the mini. Firstly, the markers sometimes get over looked in the combat cluster which is contrary to their purpose. Secondly the mini(s) has to be lifted up to place and remove which sometime displaces other minis positions.
Rob
Bavix
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 21
I use really small, multicolored hair bands that you can buy at Wal-Mart or most other stores. You can just wrap the band around the mini or hang it off of a weapon, horn, tail, whatever. They come in all kinds of colors and the travel with the mini very well.
A former member
Post #: 5
I have magnetic disks that I use most of the time. During a game session at Gamerz I saw a DM using the plastic rings from soda bottles and that worked really, really well.
A former member
Post #: 57
I second the hair bands from Walmart. 3 bucks for 50 of them in 4 different colors.