addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Indy Gaming Message Board RPGs › DnD 1st Edition?

DnD 1st Edition?

A former member
Post #: 3
Something I am curious about. I recently started getting back into DnD (4e) after a 20 year hiatus. I was at the Arsenal room last weekend and was looking at the posted events calendar inside to see if there was any other DnD 4e games I could get in on. There were several DnD game sessions posted, none were 4e. Now what I find interesting, is it seemed the several sessions that were posted were all first edition.

As I catch up with DnD since I last was involved, the debate/dialogue seems to be isolated to those who love 3.5 and hate 4.0 or vice versa so I was kind of taken back to see that the only scheduled DnD sessions were for first edition.

So, I'm curious if any of these diehard first edition peeps read here and could enlighten to me as why they are still playing first edition instead of any of the other editions.

(NOTE: I realize all the sessions could be the same organizer or group, but still, there has to be a following for first edition that I would like to understand.)
Andrew
user 8061023
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 35
It's been fun having you with us Tino. As you know, I'm running our 4e game, as well as Pathfinder (basically 3.5 game) at the Arsenal.

I'm also in a 1st/2nd edition game with my friends in California (where I'm continuing to enjoy this lovely weather on vacation this week). The big thing they like about that I think, is the simplicity. Things are quite a bit more simplified, without a ton of options to choose from. One can create a character in 5 min, and get rolling. It's also (arguably) more flavorful, in that different classes have widely varying class abilities; on the other hand, that means a lot of different subsystems rather than a streamlined d20 mechanic for everything. (For instance, Rangers have tracking which is percentile based; likewise Thieves with their abilities; Druids get 2nd level spells at 2nd level, 3rd level spells at 3, and 4th level at 6th vs. the 3.x uniform system of spell progression.)

I guess it comes down to personal preference. Some people like steak and potatoes; others like the variety of indian food.

-Andrew
A former member
Post #: 6
Thanks for the clarification. I do sort of remember when playing back in the day rolling the other dice more than now where mostly seems to be the d20. I would imagine there are not many resources to support the DnD 1st ed except scattered fan sites. Also it would seem difficult to obtain new users into your 1st Ed Groups because the books are harder to find , though I did see a mix of DnD books from 1st to 3.x at a Half Price Books this weekend. I'm not saying impossible, but I guess I leaped into 4th because of the availability of resources at books stores, gaming stores, etc.

As far as variety, I do like variety, but with the price of books etc. that I've invested so far into the 4e, I think I'm pretty committed to that edition now. Though I do plan to try and find the Pathfinder books at a decent price so I can possibly give that a look through as well.

All this said, I think I would enjoy watching a DnD 1st Ed session. I'm really curious to see it in action even if just from a nostalgic point of view.
A former member
Post #: 17
Sorry but, if 3.5 is mexican food, then 4.0 is like Taco Juan's. (Taco bell's nasty in-bred cousin)
Rob T
ghosst00
Lapel, IN
Post #: 11
Sorry but, if 3.5 is mexican food, then 4.0 is like Taco Juan's. (Taco bell's nasty in-bred cousin)

Now, that is funny:p
A former member
Post #: 10

We have a pretty nice size core group of about 7 players who play twice a week with a three DM/campaign rotation and we seem to have a pretty good time. All of it is 4th Edition. And yes, WE ROLE PLAY our characters and have very intriguing storylines and character arcs. Two of the campaigns take place in the Forgotten Realms and one in the Eberron campaign setting.

That said, we do have room for maybe one or two more players (depending on which days you are available) to join our awesome DnD 4e Group. Our campaign recaps can be found on the Arsenal Game Room forums.

A former member
Post #: 4
I actually prefer 1st edition over the others. (I'm not overly keen on 4th, and like 3rd and 2nd.)

4th got me on new races and classes... and I missed a lot of gaming years between when 1st edition came out and the when the others were popular (college, navy, etc.) I couldn't keep up with everyone's knowledge of the newer systems, and tend to feel shut out when I try to learn more in a game.

I do agree, however, on the ease of getting started in a 1st edition game. So my answer would be that, combined with a bit of nostalgia and a whole lot of being more comfortable with 1st edition.