addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Indy Gaming Message Board Game Developers Forum › What Makes a Character Real to You?

What Makes a Character Real to You?

user 9850733
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 18
When I make a character for a game I am running sometimes the character seems 'real' to me and sometimes it's just a bunch of stats. I have the same thing with characters I make for other people's games. For me it seems to be the anticipation of how the character is going to interact with other players that helps make real characters real for me. How about you? what makes a character real for you?
Carl K.
user 10098381
Carmel, IN
Post #: 1
Nothing makes a character real like playing it.

Before play, what makes an RPG character real is the same thing that makes a fictional character real: knowing what the character wants, and what he's willing to do to get it. The character can't be just there to fill a role in the adventure. I've come to believe that until your character has to choose between his own motivations and the goal of the adventure, you're not really roleplaying.