Indy.js : Indy JavaScript Society Message Board › Client Side Testing

Client Side Testing

Neil A.
user 12668580
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 1
This is both a suggestion for a future meetup as well as a discussion (if people want to discuss this). I'd like to see a presentation about effective front-end testing strategies - I think the client side ends up being the least well-tested part of a software stack, either because of the lack of maturity of available tools, lack of prioritization of it, or lack of diligence by the developer.

Questions I'd like to see covered (or discussed) :

Which is more effective: a tool like Selenium to effectively mock user interaction in the browser, or a suite of JSUnit tests (which simply run through the code)?

How do you get to a level of confidence about performance/bugs in your site/application?
What emphasis should be put on front-end testing as compared to back-end testing?
Which do you put a bigger emphasis on - software based tests (selenium, unit tests) or QA/Human based testing sessions?
What are some effective strategies for not only beginning to test the front end, but also MAINTAIN the tests over time?

How have you implemented testing strategies in your own company/projects? Have they been successful?

So if anyone has some expertise with this... consider giving a presentation, I think it'd be worthwhile.
Greg L.
user 44224922
Indianapolis, IN
This is what I do on a daily basis, so I think I'm reasonably qualified to present my perspective concerning these questions. I've been working with a team on a single-page javascript application for a while now and I have developed a pretty stable, scalable framework for automating selenium tests for the application. I also work extensively with exploratory testing of the application.

If you have some more specific questions, I'd be happy to discuss anything you'd like, but it would be much easier to answer these questions as a whole at an upcoming meetup.

I'd like to present this at a meetup, but I'm unsure of who to contact. I suppose clicking on that "Contact Us" button and telling someone about this idea will probably get me in the right place.
Miles Z. S.
user 7552573
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 3
That "Contact us" button would totally do it, but this works, too. I'm guessing Tony will see this at some point today, but if not, I'll make sure he does. My initial response to your post was, "Fuck yes! Someone volunteering to present! Also, I really want to hear this talk!". Seriously. I even said it aloud in such a manner that I'm positive the use of exclamation points was totally warranted -- not excessive at all.

I have the urge to ask you a large set of questions about your framework right now, but I'll resist, so that you've material left over for your presentation. Thanks, man.
Benjamin D.
user 14447261
Pleasanton, CA
This is what I do on a daily basis, so I think I'm reasonably qualified to present my perspective concerning these questions. I've been working with a team on a single-page javascript application for a while now and I have developed a pretty stable, scalable framework for automating selenium tests for the application. I also work extensively with exploratory testing of the application.

If you have some more specific questions, I'd be happy to discuss anything you'd like, but it would be much easier to answer these questions as a whole at an upcoming meetup.

I'd like to present this at a meetup, but I'm unsure of who to contact. I suppose clicking on that "Contact Us" button and telling someone about this idea will probably get me in the right place.

I'm also very interested in this subject. I've been researching good implementation of Sinon.js,Jasmine.JS,and Backbone.

Thanks
Joel D.
user 14041141
Indianapolis, IN
Post #: 8
Also looking forward to the talk. I've avoided the full browser automation after having bled a bit a few years back using watir for tests.

Ben- are you investigating Sinon bc you're unhappy with the included Jasmine spies or just as a part of being thorough in your investigation?
Dave W.
user 3595578
Carmel, IN
Post #: 14
The presentation won't focus on Jasmine much, but I'll be there to answer detailed and explicit questions about our ongoing battle (nay... war!) with Jasmine that we wage...