Group Organizer
Indianapolis, IN
Hi Alan, I saw the Meetup group review you posted for the International group, asking for advice about attendance. 

Attendance for our group events used to be frustrating, ranging from 20-80% of those who said yes. But for the last three or four events I organized it has been 90-100%, which is good.

I think the main change is that I started emailing the yes people about a day before, giving them my phone number--reminding them we have a reservation under my name--and asking that they update their RSVP if their plans changed etc.

People may respond more to a personal message than the site issued reminders (which might be more more likely to be ignored since people may get a lot of those from various groups). So your own email to those who say they are attending might be something to try. But of course people should be accountable regardless.

I'm becoming very happy with attendance...and I'm sorry you're still having problems. (I certainly felt defeated and embarrassed the times I had a reservation and a big empty table because people did not honor their RSVP, and you should not have to go through that because it's not fair to you or to the restaurant.) 

This email is going to all the organizers and posted to the site. So any other thoughts or ideas from anyone that you'd like to send to Alan or to me or to the group on this would be appreciated. Thanks!