addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

People Who REALLY Build Things! Message Board › Anyone making gifts this year?

Anyone making gifts this year?

Bill
Imagineer_23
Antelope, CA
Post #: 153

So far I am undecided on whether or not to make a few gifts this year... sort of leaning toward "not", but the pull is always there.

Gia
zGodiva
Citrus Heights, CA
Post #: 76
What are you thinking of not making?

I'd like to make metal roses (copper?) with barb wire stems for Valentine's gifts and I wouldn't mind making personalized leather laptop bags for gifts, but I don't have a leather worthy machine or the right hand tools to get it done in time for this Christmas.

The problem with making holiday gifts is that I'm always tempted to keep everything I make and give everyone on my gift list a box of See's Chocolates instead. When I do give the made item away, it takes me a year to get around to making another one for myself. So if we do it.... let's make 2 of everything this year!

Alan E.
user 19218981
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 4
What are you thinking of not making?

I'd like to make metal roses (copper?) with barb wire stems for Valentine's gifts and I wouldn't mind making personalized leather laptop bags for gifts, but I don't have a leather worthy machine or the right hand tools to get it done in time for this Christmas.

The problem with making holiday gifts is that I'm always tempted to keep everything I make and give everyone on my gift list a box of See's Chocolates instead. When I do give the made item away, it takes me a year to get around to making another one for myself. So if we do it.... let's make 2 of everything this year!

I recently bought a nice big sheet of thin copper at Blue Collar Supply. Was thinking of something Steam Punk. Well maybe.
Marsh
MarshWildman
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1,947
I always do a carving or two. Sometimes a pencil sketch.

Bill
Imagineer_23
Antelope, CA
Post #: 154
I really like personalized gifts, even beyond just making something. I just made a couple of lamps for my granddaughters, the pictures did not turn out very good, but I will post the one for Aliya. The one for Kaylee is probably better but the photos are very blurry.
These gifts were for their birthdays.

I was mulling building some waterfall sculptures, fairly easy to do, and I have the pumps, but not this year.

Some kind of silhouette for hanging jewelry on might be kind of fun for the girls.

For my nephew, age 6, who has a very inquisitive nature, I found an old Master combination lock and cut the back off so he can see how it works.

Stilts are always fun.

When I rotated the picture of Aliya’s lamp and saved it, the color went away and it is now b&w, supposed to be purple-ish. Looks really different in b&w.

http://photos3.meetup...­

Bill
Imagineer_23
Antelope, CA
Post #: 155
Another great inexpensive gift is a heat pack… they most likely have a different name, but I don’t know it.
These are ideal to cuddle up with on these chilly nights. Great for putting on a sore neck, or for that matter any sore muscle. What you would be using it for mostly would determine the shape and size.
The simplest version of this project would be to make a sack out of fabric and put rice into it, and sew it all together, like a beanbag.
As an example, if you were going to use it around your neck, it would be in the shape of a tube sock, if you were going to use it on large areas, like your back, it would be wider and flatter.
Also, the rice will flow to the lowest areas, different chambers might be called for.

Use whole uncooked rice. Depending on what you are going to use it for, you will probably want to leave room for the bag to bend. For example, if it will be used to drape around your neck and shoulders, don’t stuff the bag so full it won’t bend. Also in that application, there should be a chamber that will keep the rice on the top of your neck and possibly another couple of chambers that will keep it on your shoulders, because without the chambers the rice will all fall to the bottom of your bag and sit on your chest. With no relief on the back of your neck where it is desired. Chambers are easy to make, just sew a line across the bag…. Don’t forget to put the rice in before sealing a chamber! lol

One of the best parts is that you warm them up in minutes, using the microwave and it stays warm for a really long time. I believe it is one minute per pound of rice in the microwave, on high.
The rice bags will last for years. Snuggly fabrics like flannel work well.

They probably do not wash well, tag accordingly.
Bill
Imagineer_23
Antelope, CA
Post #: 160

Another great gift gift is sending someone a letter, everyone loves receiving a letter.... I don't remember the last time sending or receiving a real letter. A different era in time... but letters are still fun.