align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

People Who REALLY Build Things! Message Board › Melting Copper and aluminum

Melting Copper and aluminum

Bill
Imagineer_23
Antelope, CA
Post #: 165
Has anyone built or considered building a foundry or furnace of some type to recycle aluminum or copper? My scrap pile is getting bigger and was thinking of melting it down to ingots. But I have no way of doing it right now. Any one else want to build something like that?
Marsh
MarshWildman
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2,054
They did it already. It turned out great too!
The discussion is here....
http://www.meetup.com...­

Pix are here...
http://www.meetup.com...­
Bill
Imagineer_23
Antelope, CA
Post #: 166
Thanks for the link... are there more pic's that the show finished product?

It looks like there was interest earlier, and some research was done to
come up with a good design. Anyone that was on that build still active here?

Although it would be really awesome to have the power to melt aluminum, brass,
and copper at your fingertips, I probably would not build one of these machines
by myself. Would need someone else to bounce it around with.
If anyone is interested in further discussion in building a foundry I have a location
for the build, and probably enough metalworking tools to do whatever is required
to finish the project.

Marsh
MarshWildman
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2,055
I know they finshed it and even melted some metal in it. I don't know where it went from there. Brian, Alex and Chip were the principles, I think.