Are you new to Irish dancing? Just started, or never danced a step in your life? Then read on! Every week in May, our instructor, Michael Murphy, will be teaching group lessons designed specifically for new dancers. If you have ever been curious about trying Irish dance but felt too shy or inexperienced, this is the class for you!
Each Saturday afternoon, Michael will take you through the fundamentals of Irish set dance, from basic footwork to the essential group patterns, all the way through dancing a complete set with your classmates!
Please RSVP to this Meetup event each week if you plan on attending so that we can arrange for enough dance partners for everyone.
You can attend any or all of the lessons. While each class will introduce new material that builds on what you already know, we will always review the basics, so you DO NOT need to attend a previous lesson in order to attend a later one — beginners are welcome to start with us on any class day, even on the last one.
*** Info for First-Timers ***
• No prior dance experience of any kind is necessary!
• You do not need to bring a partner -- there will always be one available -- but feel free to bring one (or more)! More dancers make it more fun. Previously, we had about 20 dancers come to each class.
• You can wear any clothes and shoes that you're comfortable dancing and sweating in, although it's recommended that women avoid wearing heels.
*** Curriculum ***
Dances covered will be Polkas, Slides, Jigs, and Hornpipes, with focus on the Sliabh Luachra and Baile Bhúirne Jig sets.
*** Pricing ***
Michael wanted to make this class accessible to everyone, so he kept the cost very modest:
• Each class is only $12 per person for a full two hour lesson, -OR-
• You can pay for the entire month of classes for just $45.
*** Special Irish Dance Ceili! ***
After the last class, we will be hosting a special Irish dance party (called a ceili) at Lilly Macs Pub on May 31! Everyone is invited to attend, but especially anyone who attended these lessons should come join the fun! There will be live music, lots of terrific dancers to mingle with, and best of all, anyone who attended all four intro classes in February will get half off the admission cost: $6 for workshop attendees, $12 for everyone else.
*** Questions? ***
If you have a question, please either ask it in the Comments area below or send me (Yevgeny) an email through Meetup.