Asheville Wine & Food Society Message Board › State of the Wine and Food Meetup

State of the Wine and Food Meetup

Mary T
user 10547926
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC
Hello fellow Asheville Food and Wine Lovers,

I'd like to have a little chat with you about where we've been and where we want to go.

First, I'd like to give a very brief history.  As you may or may not know, this meetup was born over a year ago as the International Food and Wine Society with the thought of eventually joining the "official" International Food and Wine Society.  After a stellar beginning with several awesome events, due to a major job change, the original organizer was unable to give the group much attention.  It languished and he eventually had to give it up. I took over primary coordination.  Soon thereafter we were contacted by the "official" International Food and Wine Society and told that we either had to formally join (at a significant fee to each meetup member) or change our name.  So we changed our name.

But as the base name implies, the group was born to pair wine and food.  In addition, these would be (and were) nice dinners with some level of description and discussion provided by the proprietor.  Events of this caliber do not come cheaply.  While the early group met with success, after our period of inactivity remaining participants were not signing up for such events.  Even more striking, we have had very low attendance at simpler gatherings as well.  I can speculate on a number of reasons.  Momentum is always crucial and we lost a lot during the transition.  Budgetary constraints on social activities, especially during tough economic times, can certainly affect how many meals out and how much fine wine a person can afford.

I need your help in deciding where to go with this group.  To that end, I have set up a brief survey to collect your input.  It is at

http://www.surveymonk...­

and should take no more than 5-10 minutes to complete.  Please try to respond by August 20.

In the meantime I have opened the ability to schedule a meetup to all members.  I'll be happy to help you with your planning of meetups if you have questions or just need help getting started.

Meetups are all about getting people together, so let's get together to get this meetup together!

Regards,

Mary