Japanese Meetup Group Message Board › The Japanese Schindler: Chiune Sugihara

The Japanese Schindler: Chiune Sugihara

TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 61
Konnichi Wa to All:

If you think that Oskar Schindler was something, then check this Thread out.

Last night I was lent a copy of the Movie "Schindler's List" last night while I was drinking Beer at the #2 New Westminster Branch Royal Canadian Legion. I am now watching it for the 2nd time. It is the WW2 Hero who saved 1,200 Jews by reserving them for his Labour Force.

Well, I am now pointing out the story of Chiune Sempo Sugihara Sama.

This was a Japanese Diplomate who forwent his Father's instruction to study to become a Doctor, and studied towards joining the Japanese Diplomatic Corps instead. He studied Russian and ended up getting a Diplomatic Position in Kaunas Lithuania in March 1939.

When the Nazis invaded Poland on September 1st 1939, thousands of Polish Jews fleed to Kaunas Lithuania. When Russia invaded Lithuania on June 15th 1940, the Russians ordered all Foreign Diplomatic Offices in Lithuania to pack up and leave, but the Japanese Consulate remained open after Chiune Sugihara had successfully applied for a 20 days Operating Extension.

It was then that some of the Polish refugees came up with a plan that offered one last chance for freedom. They discovered that two Dutch colonial islands, Curacao and Dutch Guiana, (now known as Suriname) situated in the Caribbean, did not require formal entrance visas. So since the Japanese Consulate was one of the only Diplomatic Consulates open in Lithuania, then on a summer morning in late July 1940, Consul Chiune Sempo Sugihara and his family awakened to a crowd of Polish Jewish refugees gathered outside the consulate. Desperate to flee the approaching Nazis, the refugees knew that their only path lay to the east. If Consul Sugihara would grant them Japanese transit visas, they could obtain Soviet exit visas and race to possible freedom. Sempo Sugihara was moved by their plight, but he did not have the authority to issue hundreds of visas without permission from the Foreign Ministry in Tokyo.

He asked for that Permission, but his Government refused the Permission. After agonizing over that for a night, Chiune Sugihara-Sama decided to forgo his Governments Refusal of Permission and decided to issue the Transit Visas anyways. Chiune and his wife Yukiko, even though they feared for their lives and the lives of their children from reprisals from the Japanese Government, but they could only follow their consciences. The visas would be signed. With his Wive's help Yukiko-Sama, he spent several days and nights writing and signing approximately 300 Transit Visas per day.

After receiving their visas, the Refugees lost no time in getting on Trains that took them to Moscow, and then by trans-Siberian railroad to Vladivostok. From there, most of them continued to Kobe, Japan. They were allowed to stay in Kobe for several months, and were then sent to Shanghai, China. Thousands of Polish Jews with Sugihara visas survived in safety under the benign protection of the Japanese government in Shanghai. As many as six thousand refugees made their way to Japan, China and other countries in the following months. They had escaped the Holocaust. Through a strange twist of history, they owed their lives to a Japanese man and his family. They had become "Sugihara Survivors".

Despite his Disobedience, his Government found Sugihara's vast skills useful for the remainder of the war. But in 1945, the Japanese government unceremoniously dismissed Chiune Sugihara from the Diplomatic Service. His Career as a Diplomat was shattered. He had to start his Life over. Once a rising star in the Japanese foreign service, Chiune Sugihara could at first only find work as a part-time Translator and Interpreter. For the last Two Decades of his Life, he worked as a Manager for an Export Company with Business in Moscow. This was his Fate because he dared to save Thousands of Human Beings from Certain Death.

Today, more than 50 years after those 29 fateful days in July and August of 1940, there may be more than 40,000 who owe their lives to Chiune and Yukiko Sugihara.

Consul Chiune Sugihara, age 86, died on July 31, 1986. Mrs.Yukiko Sugihara had her 88th birthday on December 17, 2001. She now lives in Fujisawa, Japan.

For the full Story (from which a lot of text of the above article is borrowed), Click on:

http://www.jewishvirt...­

Judayajin Roku no Hito wa Shinsetsu na Chiune Sugihara Sama wa Hogo Shimashita. Kono Hito de takusan Bisas wa Kakimashita, soshite kono Hito de Kubarimashita. Sugihara Sama no Nihon no Seifu no Meirei ga Mushi Shimashita, soshite Kiken na Dekigoto ni Narimashita. Judayajin, Russia no Ushiro ni Ikimashita soshite Kobe no naka ni Inokorimashita, dewa Shanghai Chugoku Kuni no naka ni Inokorimashita

Atakau no ato ni, Chiune Sugihara wa Kubi ni Shimashita soshite Kau Subusu ni Narimashita. Takusan Nen no ato ni, Israel Kuni wa Chiune Sugihara Sama no Yukana Taido wa Aterimashita.

Itsumo Oboeteimattekudasai (bowing politely)

Ki No Ronin
aka: Dave
A former member
Post #: 19
The total number of Jewish people saved by Japan during the WWII is approx. 30,000.
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 963
Upon learning that Miep Gies, the Dutch Girl who helped to hide the Anne Frank Family, had recently passed away, I then started wondering about what was up with Yukiko Sugihara-Sama.

So I looked it up on the Internet and found out that she had Passed Away on October 8th 2008 at the age of 94.

Kono Meiyo na Onna wa Itsumo Oboeteimasu!

3X3
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,723
Kombanwa:

Rai Karaoke Aimono no ato ni, Bus Tomaru de Ikimashita soshite Wei-San de kono Iimashita.

After Last Karaoke Meetup, I went to the Bus Stop with Wei-San and I told him the Story of Chiune Sugihara.

I thought I would bump up this Old Thread for his interest. He said that he was from Osaka and that reminded me of how the 6,000 Jews were housed in Osaka upon entry.

Yondekudasai, Dozo. Omoshiroi Monogatori Desu.

3X3
Rika
user 10607248
North Vancouver, BC
Post #: 3
Though Chiune Sugihara's life after the war was not something he was hoping for, the Jewish people he had saved never forgot to thank him. I don't know exactly when, but they searched him out, and in gratitude, invited his son to join them in lucrative diamond business. Also the family now has strong connection with Lithuania and Russia as well.
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,750
Here is a YouTube about 25 War Heroes that are not too well known and Chiune Sughihara-Sama and his Story is mentioned.

http://www.youtube.co...­

3X3
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,751
And I found a 6 Part Series Documentary about Chiune Sugihara-Sama that is on YouTube.

Here is the First Part:

http://www.youtube.co...­

3X3
TheDruid-3X3
TheDruid-3X3
Surrey, BC
Post #: 1,771
Kanwa Shimasu!

I am Relieved that the Discussion Forums are back up. I would have been somewhat upset to see threads with Important Information & Stories like this one not being accessible to the Membership of this Meetup Group.

TheDruid-3X3