Japanese Meetup Group Message Board › Japanese Study Group (勉強会)

Japanese Study Group (勉強会)

DiMSuM
user 51503202
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 1
Anyone interested in studying Japanese together? For people who are interested, we can bring our own studying materials and meet up at a cafe or library to study. I think the best way to learn Japanese is to translate in between Japanese and English, so it's fine to bring nothing. Of cuz, it would be ideal to have at least one Japanese there. Well, just a thought. What does everyone think?
Luca P.
user 19731471
Kelowna, BC

I just started studying Japanese. I speak English, some Italian and French as well. I am busy working on the weekends but can study during the week some times.

Please contact me if you have a group of people that want to study during the week.

Thank you,

ありがとう

Luca

Sam
user 43466762
Vancouver, BC
im down. want to practice more japanese
i can also teach english
Nicole
user 50123932
Vancouver, BC
I'd be up for something like this.

What are our levels here? Its going to be important to find some common level to teach at,
I'm well above JLPT5 level but not quite at JLPT 4 yet.

Ideally, i think having conversations in japanese is the best way to learn, even with other students.
Luca P.
user 19731471
Kelowna, BC
Post #: 2

Hi Sam, Hi Nicole,

I think that I will probably be the anchor with the least experience here, but I would like to know more about these competency standards you mentioned in your message Nicole. Also what methods standards text books and standardized testing are used for these competency standards?

Where would be a good central location for people to meet up (ex. Library) in Vancouver? I work on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, so I won't be able to study on those days.

Nicole
user 50123932
Vancouver, BC
JLPT is a test you can take, administered by the government of japan.
If you pass the level you take, they give you some kind of certificate that notes you have passed a certain level.

JLPT5 is the lowest, with JLPT1 being the highest. From what i've heard, anything lower than JLPT N2 is not useful for employment in japan. People also say that JLPT5 is not worth it, as it costs 70$ to attempt to take the test each time and going for 5 is more like "trying it".
That being said, i know that people recommend N3 at least for having the ability to talk and converse in japanese in japan fairly well.(common conversation, ect, not working).

You can find some resources here:http://www.tanos.co.u...­
Theres no standardized textbooks, but i've heard that if you finish Genki I you'd be ready for JLPT N5, and Fully finishing Genki II covers most of whats in JLPT N4, but theres a bit more kanji to know as well.

Also, the JLPT test happens twice a year, the next one is in December.
DiMSuM
user 51503202
Vancouver, BC
Nice to see there are some people who are interested. I will say the level should be at least know how to read Hiragana and katakana, cause if everything is writen in Romaji, then it's not really Japanese. I have passed JLPT level 3 some years ago, now my level maybe around lvl 2. Lets see if any Japanese members are interested.
Luca P.
user 19731471
Kelowna, BC
Post #: 3
Thanks for answering my questions Nicole. I have a friend who would probably have a good line on where to get those two books.

I have a few photocopied pages that have all of the Hiragana, Katakana and Romaji on it which helps me to go back and forth from what I am reading to the phonetic sounds of the words. I will probably start to write out the same chart by eliminating the Hiragana and forcing myself to learn how to fill in the blanks by only looking at the other two columns.

DiMSuM
user 51503202
Vancouver, BC
It seems like one of my Japanese friend is also interested in this studying group. How about this Saturday (August 11th, 2012) 4:30 PM at Central library https://maps.google.c...­

I will wait for everyone's replies. Thank You.
Sam
user 43466762
Vancouver, BC
sure