The London Japanese Language Meetup Group Message Board › Meetup has created a fee!

Meetup has created a fee!

Jaime
alvarezj
Group Organizer
London, GB
Dear friends,

Meetup has until now served us well for free. As it was foreseable, someone was going to be asked to pay for their service, and this has finally happened. I, as an organizer will soon be charched 19USD each month. I enjoy the mettup so I have decided to pay it, but I would like you memebers to suggest ways of sharing this burden!

My first idea was that all members would have to invite me to one beer... Excellent idea I thought, but then my liver, my kidney and even my boss started to complain, so I gave up the idea.

My second idea, so far the best thing I can think of, is that all people attending to the meetup will have to contribute with one pound. I think this will be fair as most of the times we get 10-15 people, but some months, specially December or Summer we may go down to none! Besides the months that because of my job I cannot attend I will not be able to collect.

Nonetheless, I will appreciate any idea that you people may have, and your feedback about this solution I am proposing. I am creating a discussion in the website forum in case you wnat to give any feedback. You can also send me feedbackk directly by using the website option of "Organizer. Contact me"

Just in case, tonight there is a meetup in the Captain's cabin, but I will not ask anybody to pay anything.

Best regards,

Jaime
AccordGuy
AccordGuy1
Crawley, GB
Post #: 17
Woah!

$19 per month is pretty steep! You could *buy* a web server for that!!!

That was pretty sneaky of them... force someone to take on the organiser role or disolve the group and then a few months down the road hit them with a bill for $228 a year!!!

And that on top of the fees they already charge for members who want to use their messaging... Hmmm... we could always hang out on Toshiya Hoshino's www.meetingup.net Japanese site instead... :D

AccordGuy
Toshi
T0SHI
London, GB
Post #: 5
Hiya, all.

This is not really a good news, is it? To put their running cost only on the organizer doesn't sound fair, but it would be difficult to share it equally among members unless meetup.com charge us for a small membership fee.

And yeah, AccordGuy, you could afford to prepare own webspace. 19$/month.. harshdevilish for this kind of website.

As an organizer of another meet-up website : Meeting Up Network (thanks, AccordGuy ;-) ), in worst case (well, for Jaime and those who are using this website) I can provide a place to share for all of us so that we can continue to have a regular meeting/events if the arrangement is getting difficult because of this situation.

My site is mainly in Japanese right now, but I had already prepared hidden English website for English speakers before, not expecting this would happen... and it's just not been released to the public yet since I didn't see any 'demand' at that time.

I'm not sure how many people of this website registered with or interested in meetingup.net website (anybody yet??), but if I release English website, then surely there will be a regular meeting like this... and same as Japanese page in meetingup.net, you can have the messaging system, blog, forums, polls... Just drop me a line/reply if you've got any thought, or interested in it.smile

There are many members here, some want to stay, some may not, but the decision shouldn't be taken in a hurry... IMHO

Cheers,
Toshi
Toshi
T0SHI
London, GB
Post #: 6
I researched around a bit and found there are so many frustrated organizers everywhere as far as I could see in meetup.com's message boards. Many organizers could soon be stepping down, and then there would be no one to look after the groups. This looks pretty serious problem with this website.

The organizer was a top-volunteer of the group who devoted his/her time to run the groups. And now Meetup puts their cost only on the organizers and it will force some of them to quit/step down from their post. So I can see Jaime's worries and frustrations. At the same time, I can see Meetup's logic. "Hey, you can make your own group here, arranging meetings, events for free. Now and then, the website is growing up, and by charging you will give us more power to provide more functionality, hence you can get more advantages!"

You know what, if you joined in free website you don't have to pay for and once it started charging you, what would happen? I guess most of people wouldn't bother to stay there, they can find similar place elsewhere unless the website is ONLY one in the world.

Members of this group can contribute, but only they feel they should pay for their account or value they are getting from Meetup. So it is very difficult situation for most of groups, members and orgianizers.

I wouldn't mind to pay or contribute to Jaime, but I would like to see more valuable function or information on Meetup website that the members should (or can) pay for, which is not organizer's responsibility but Meetup's. For right now I just can't see any advantage by paying the cost, from the member's point of view.... What do you think? I'd love to hear other member's opinion.
A former member
Post #: 254
Hello,

For all those who want to keep meetup free please check out this post

http://www.meetup.com...­

Spread the word !

Polygolt latin roots
Paul
Paulwoodh
London, GB
Post #: 4
This is a tricky situation and hopefully there will some response after the protests. Whilst the idea of taking the group elsewhere isn't bad, I think the catchment of people is still greater the way it is. I personally don't mind chipping in, but agree it probably isn't the easiest thing for Jaime to organise, and as always, numbers can fluctuate. As for a solution, hmmm, sorry...
A former member
Post #: 60
Hi Everyone....

What's happening on this group?
I'm from the Manchester Japanese Language Meetup Group.

We have chosen to refuse to pay the new imposed Organiser Fees. We have instead set up our own forum for this purposes.

We're not asking you to travel to Manchester for a meetup - that's just silly...
but rather save you some money and run and organise events from our forums. It's be solely used for people who are interested in Japan's Culture and of-course the Japanese language.

http://japan.justhype...­

Please feel free to come and browse. If you like your group to appear, just tell us and we'll add you.

Regards
Lazarus

A former member
Post #: 3
Hi everyone,

Please feel free to join www.sojapanese.co.uk­ which I have setup for interested japanese groups to join and use.

It is all free to use just register and thats it.

Cheers
A former member
Post #: 60
Hi all, I'm Paul the organiser of the Manchester group. We've set our own site up becasue of the fees, it's free to use and it's really good. We have a website designer, designing our site and doing the programming, so it runs well. We have lots of space on there for other groups to join, and you can run your site from there free, so we'd like to invite you to our site.

Our site is a lot better than any of the other sites you've seen, it has lots of photos on there, and lots of discussions in the forums on many subjects. So come and take a look. You won't be dissapointed.

Thank's, Paul.
Toshi
T0SHI
London, GB
Post #: 7
... wow.. 2 groups are really keen on inviting the members whilst Jaime hasn't even posted the reply to this thread yet. By the way, smaller logo looks better, above gigantic logo is too big to put in the post, IMHOtongue

Now and then, this seems to be very difficult to make a choice, on the other hand, (as one of the members here) we would be able to stay as long as we've got an organizer. I've read the explanation from meetup.com that if there was nobody as an organizer, the meetup group will then be deleted eventually. But for right now, starting new website, or moving to anothe webside doesn't seem to be the way. If we can meet up on 10th of May, we can discuss about it and see how our feeling goes.... shall we? (Uh, to be honest I don't know if I can join at this time yet - again-. But I will try!)

Cheers,
Toshi