Phoenix Japanese Language and Culture Group Message Board › Japanese exchange student

Japanese exchange student

scott w.
user 8071882
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 73
Hi All,

I occasionally receive emails from people trying to place Japanese exchange students. This is something that I would really like to encourage and help out in so I post to our discussion and send out a broadcast email to our group. If anyone is interested in hosting an exchange student please contact Yolonda below for details! Thanks!

Note I modified the email address below. Replace the "at" with the regular "@".

I am working as the local coordinator for the Laurasian
Institution, which sponsors international exchange students
from Japan, China and Korea. As the local coordinator for the
Phoenix area, I am tasked with securing host families and
schools for a few students for the upcoming academic year.

Since your members are interested in the Japanese language
and/or culture, I thought that perhaps some of them might be
interested in hosting an exchange student from Japan. If you
think that any members might be interested please feel free to
pass along my contact information: Yolonda Riley,
yolonda.riley "at" I am happy to answer any questions
that you or they may have.

Thanks very much,
user 8107276
Goodyear, AZ
Post #: 7
We just met and talked to Ms.Yolonda.
We are really excited!!!!!!
Still havent decide yet but pretty much sure we are going to be host family!

Hope others can help her and be a part of host family :)
scott w.
user 8071882
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 74
Hi Miiko!

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing your excitement! Maybe that will encourage some others. Let us know how it goes! :-)

user 8107276
Goodyear, AZ
Post #: 8
They r still looking for about 30 students.
Not just in AZ but it will be fun to have them in AZ!!
Natalie W.
user 11957154
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 4
Hi Scott,

This is wonderful you are so willing to be of help with finding host families for Japanese students! I joined this group a little while back and I, too, work with students who hope to come to the US to study as exchange students.

I currently have one Japanese student, a 17-year-old young lady named Yuri, who is still waiting on a family. (BTW a "family: can be parents w/teens, parent w/young children, parents w/no children, empty nesters, single moms, etc. The key thing we are looking for is the desire to help a student succeed in their exchange!).

Yuri is an "A"student, loves to sing, play the piano, and the traditional harp called Koto. She is also interested in fashion, art and photography. In her application she expresses her desire to teach her host family about Japanese culture -- "I have been wanting to be an exchange student for many years because I would like to learn English, and American culture behind the language. So please teach me about American culture and share it with me! Also, I would like Japanese culture to be known to the people in the U.S. i.e. traditional and daily foods, national holidays, and so on. And if you have any questions or things you are interested in about Japan, please ask me! I also practice Japanese calligraphy. I will bring some of my works and I'm willing to demonstrate if desired. "

Yuri seems like an all-around awesome young lady!! And I would love to give her some good news about finding her a family :) I am eager to speak to you or anyone who has questions or would like more information. Thank you!

A former member
Post #: 3
I just sent Yolanda e-mail.
I will be happy to be a host family.
Well most of my family members are animals. But... : ) Big happy family I have.
Natalie W.
user 11957154
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 5
I just finished up my last Japanese student placement for this year, thanks to those who replied. Hopefully we can get you a student next year :) ! I still have students from a wide variety of other countries however, so anyone interested, please contact me! Thank you!!
user 8107276
Goodyear, AZ
Post #: 9
I'm so excited to have an exchange student!!
We decided to have student for a year.
All paper work is done and we are gonna have Chinese girl who is also interest in Japanese culture!
She is coming next month!!!!!

Kanemi san
Did you talk to Yolonda?
How did it go?? Let me know if you are having exchange student too!!

user 8107276
Goodyear, AZ
Post #: 10
Hello, everybody.
I just got call from Laurasin Institution.
They are looking for temporary host family right now.
There are about 12 more exchange student that need host family. And I'm hoping somebody from this group have interest in to be host family even temporary one.
Let me know if u want more info or u can contact to Yolonda :)