addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Austin Japanese Culture and Language Meetup Group Message Board › Kick JLPT Butt! (Otherwise known as Do Pray, Shall Kindly We Suffer the JLPT?)

Kick JLPT Butt! (Otherwise known as Do Pray, Shall Kindly We Suffer the JLPT?)

Mike 門.
user 3620469
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 30
日本語能力試験, the JLPT, otherwise known as the Japanese TOEIC, is offered only once a year in the States! Our closest testing site is Houston, and the test is in December, just 5 months away!

Taking the test is not only a great marker to strive towards and further drive your studies, but it's also very useful if you're thinking about working in Japan or going to school in Japan. They do ask for your JLPT level. (There are 5 test levels, and you have to choose which one you'll take.)

Registration opens late August, and the test is December first. I'm planning to take the test, and thought it would be a good idea for us to pool our resources. How about it? Road trip to Houstin to kick some Nihongo butt?

http://www.aatj.org/j...­
Lisa
LDADAR
Austin, TX
Post #: 83
Which level are you taking?
Mike 門.
user 3620469
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 34
I'm shooting for N2.

Edit: The tests are listed all on the same date, but I don't know the time. I'm thinking they're concurrent, though, and that a group could go no matter which level test each person is taking.
Lisa
LDADAR
Austin, TX
Post #: 84
I agree. The FAQ indicate that you can only take one test per testing day.

I'm interested, but I haven't studied Japanese for years. I'm currently looking for a job. Perhaps if I don't find one, I should take JLPT.

Do you know when the registration period ends?

btw-Mike, your list of study ideas are incredible.
Mike 門.
user 3620469
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 37
Registration is listed as August 26th, to Sept. 27th.
http://www.aatj.org/j...­

And thank you very much for the compliment on the study ideas. I would really like to get a study group going, but up till now, no one had said anything about the ideas.

I did bring a book of bilingual short stories to the South Austin Saturday meet up, though, and it looks like we may have a little 読書クラブ going on! :)
Lisa
LDADAR
Austin, TX
Post #: 85
Are you familiar with AJATT?
Mike 門.
user 3620469
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 43
Yeah, although I'm a bit more of a fan of Jalup, mainly because they're better organized and not as scatterbrained or vulgar. :) They draw from a lot of AJATT, anyway. They even have one page that is seriously a numbered to-do list to try to get to fluency as quickly as possible. It, too, relies on an immersion process. I still don't like having my work computer in Japanese, though, haha. Especially when I'm learning a new piece of software. "Crap, which one of these is the plugin I'm looking for...." :)
Mike 門.
user 3620469
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 49
I thought I would add that I was just reading about MCDs, a flash-card , cloze-based learning technique that has gained in popularity and the acronym of which was apparently created by Khaz. It's interesting... I have some other things on my plate right now, but I think I'll give that a try with some of my more difficult reading material.

Also, something I have found interesting about AJATT and JALUP, is that while both rightly say to keep your studies fun, AJATT goes to the point of saying that if you're having trouble learning something, say a word, then drop it. If it's necessary, it'll probably come back up again in the future, and possibly in a new way which may help facilitate remembering it better. I noticed Anki does the same thing, "leeching" cards that one may have a hard time with to get them out of the way so time is better used, apparently.

Anyway, yeah, Khaz has useful stuff to say on his site, but you have to read through a loooot of babble to get to those gems. :) Hats off to him, regardless.

Edit: Reading around, it seems that the MCD technique that Khaz is selling is based off of (or outright is) SuperMeme's cloze-deletion technique. Here are some links with details into the techniques and general philosophy:
SuperMemo and Incremental Reading
20 Rules of Formulating Knowledge in Learning
MCD
Karen P
user 27034222
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
I just registered for N4 in Houston!
Mike 門.
user 3620469
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 59
I just registered as well. Is there a road trip in the future? :)