align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Austin Japanese Culture and Language Meetup Group Message Board › group participation....

group participation....

Closed to new replies

Melissa
user 9886416
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
I recently joined this group in July. I was quite excited and was looking forward to learning more about Japanese culture, and practicing what little Japanese i know. However, it seems that most of this group isn't active....??
I can't speak for anyone else in the group, but i would really like to see us meet more often. I am progressing a bit in my Japanese, though it's still very simple phrases, and i would really enjoy spending time with other people who are learning. Since there has been a lot less communication in the group lately, i am asking you to let me know if there is anyone else here that would be interested in some sort of "study group"... a relaxed and comfortable environment where we can practice using what we've learned. Watashitachi wa ocha o nonde imasu ka? (^_^)
Please give some feedback on this idea (^_^)

On a different note... ARIGATO Bethel-san!!! I plan to attend the performance of Ms. Toshi Suzuki !!!!
I am SOO glad you posted that announcement!! ARIGATO!! (^_^)

Melissa
Larry
shinshi360
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Melissa,

Thank you for being a member of our Meetup, and thank you for your thoughts. The shortest way I can respond to your comment is this:

You haven't been around long enough.

If you go to the home page for this Meetup, you will see that this iteration (yes, iteration, because there were other Japanese Meetup groups in the past that fizzled out, but this one has been the most successful by far -- I've been here long enough to witness it) of the Japanese Language and Culture Meetup is quite active. With a founding date of June 25, 2007, a history of 58 past scheduled official Meetups, and a group of 349 members, this is the largest I've ever seen the group and the longest I've seen any sort of Japanese culture group around.

Many of these Meetups are "teaching Meetups" where beginners are able to learn Japanese for free from volunteer instructors, and all attendees can interact with other Japanese-speaking members and Japanese natives. Other Meetups are cultural events that our members enjoy. Still others are purely social events -- activities to practice your Japanese in a more typical social atmosphere.

So if we do some simple math and calculate the duration of the existence of the group (approximately 2 years, 2 months, and 3 weeks = 26.75 months) and divide the number of past Meetups by that amount, that gives us about 2.17 Meetups per month. In the early days, we did have a Meetup every single week, but because that was overkill for most people and because it takes a lot of effort and preparation on the part of our fabulous and dedicated organizer Eri, we decided to make it once every other week.

Note that many Meetup groups, including language Meetup groups, meet only once a month. From that perspective, you should be thankful that we have more than one each month. Sometimes we need to take care of our own personal lives and we need a breather from organizing events that take time and energy, and for the organizers, this is no exception.

Lastly, the organizer of each Meetup must pay to keep it available to members so that we can enjoy having our group. I appreciate your enthusiasm about learning the language, and I would say feel free to ask individuals and friends if they want to meet outside of our Meetup gatherings to practice, but I strongly frown upon and discourage the use of this Meetup group to form your own group. That is not fair to Eri, MG, or myself, as we have put in a lot of effort and energy to organize these events for everyone's benefit. We are always open to suggestions on how we can improve this Meetup group or ideas for events. Just let us know.

Thanks to you and everyone else who make this Meetup a success time after time.

Regards,
Larry