|Sent on:||Friday, August 21, 2009 5:54 PM|
My name is Alanna, and I just joined this meetup group because I am looking to connect with people who are interested in Japanese culture and language.
I am wondering if anybody in this group is interested in bringing some of this culture and language into your home by hosting a Japanese international exchange student. Youth For Understanding (www.yfu-usa.org) is a reputable nonprofit organization that has been facilitating student exchange since the early 1950's, and is fully accredited by CSIET (official accreditation board for youth exchange programs). We have a Japanese girl named Mana who is coming to OH very soon but is still in need of a host family (either for the academic year or as a Welcome Family for 1-3 months). If you or anybody you know is interested, I would be happy to provide you with more information. You can email me at [address removed] or call me directly at[masked] ext 1110 (I will be in the office periodically over the weekend).
Hope to hear back from you soon – Mana is scheduled to fly here on Aug 25th, so if you are interested, definitely let me know as soon as possible!
Some general YFU Host Family information that people usually are wondering about :
1) Students come with their own comprehensive health insurance (
2) Families are responsible to provide 3 meals a day and place to sleep for the student (can share the bedroom with a same sex child).
3) The student will go to your local high school (we take care of enrollment), and should be treated as a family member - this is not a travel experience, but education and culture exchange.
4) Families can host for a year, semester or be an arrival family for 1- 3 months.
5) YFU Families are volunteer host families, but are eligible for a $50 per month Federal tax deduction.
6) The organization provides support to the family and student including: monthly contact, orientations, tutoring and counseling for the student if needed, and a 24 hour emergency line.
7) Host Families can be all shapes, sizes, and types - just like the “typical” American family. Singles can host, too!
Alanna R. Chochrek
Northeast District Coordinator for Recruitment and Development
Youth For Understanding
Telephone:[masked], ext 1110
Toll-Free:[masked] ext 1110
Youth For Understanding (YFU) prepares young people for their responsibilities and opportunities in a changing, interdependent world.
This email message originally included an attachment.