Kenzy
user 15906171
Roselle, IL
Post #: 2
問題1:次­の日本語を­英語に訳し­なさい。(­コツ:文字­通り訳した­ら、難しい­です。意訳­をしましょ­う!)

1.昔はつ­るんでいた­けど、いま­はさっぱり­だね。
2.あいつ­にガンつけ­られた。
3.マジむ­かつく。
4.鼻をほ­じる。

問題2:どち­らが正しい­ですか?
1. I was wondering how to draw compassion yesterday.
2.I was wondering how to collect compassion yesterday.
A former member
Post #: 5
(A)
1. You used to be a lie-about, but now you've really cleaned up your act. (I use "really" as the reinforcement or solicitation for agreement meant by "ね.")
2. I was glared at by him. (He glared at me.)
3. I frickin' hate it.
4. To pick one's nose.

(B)
1. Not correct
2. Not correct

(You can't "draw" or "collect" compassion in English. You can "show compassion" or "receive compassion". Not sure what you mean by your sentences, though... Maybe you could rewrite them in Japanese?)

Karl S.
user 11479320
Arlington Heights, IL
Post #: 6

1. I was wondering how to draw compassion yesterday.
2.I was wondering how to collect compassion yesterday.

This one's tough.

"Draw compassion" isn't really incorrect, but it also doesn't sound natural. The phrase "draw sympathy" is fairly common, and means about the same thing. I don't have a good explanation for why one gets used and the other sounds unnatural.

Collect doesn't work very well here. Collect means about the same thing as "gather" or "accumulate", and it's usually used for plural nouns (like "collect coins") or mass nouns (like "collect sunlight" or "collect water").

You could say "elicit compassion", but that sounds stilted and unnatural in spoken English. It would be fine for written English, though.