addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Mitsuwa Market Area Japanese Language and Culture MeetUp Message Board › Really? Only Thursday nights? (and someone you should meet)

Really? Only Thursday nights? (and someone you should meet)

A former member
Post #: 19
I'll be at Mitsuwa for lunch tomorrow regardless...I've been planning to go every weekend since the New Year, and everytime something came up preventing me from going (Car, weather, etc)...I am definitely going tomorrow!

If there's a meet-up, that's more incentive to go!

-Dave
Emma
voiceofwind
Peoria, IL
Post #: 4
I have a class in the morning on Saturdays, so I prefer meetings after 2 pm.
But, I can skip this class once in a while to join earlier meeting like that.
I usually stay around Chicago area on weekends until Sunday evening, so Sunday brunch time is another good time, if anyone is interested.
I'll be at Mitsuwa tomorrow for snacks and some grocery shopping in the afternoon.

Daveさん、ある­おばちゃん­がたこやき­をおいしい­そに食べて­いることを­みたらsay"hello"­してくださ­い~!(^__^)V
A former member
Post #: 15
That is a good idea--testing to see if there are needs for weekends before deciding completely changing the day of the current meetup. Personally, Thursday meeting has been fitting my schedule. I am going to have to miss meetups for March-May because of another engagement. But, if the meeting day is maintained as it is now, I will definitely come back from June.

Other members mentioned that they were going to Mitsuwa this afternoon (1/23/10). I will try to make it. I hope I could find them.

Hello Everyone,

Basically the only reason that I know for the meeting to be on Thursdays is "Thats When they always were". Lately I have not been able to make the Thursday meeting (due to a Japanese class at the same time). So lets try a Saturday and see who shows up.

What do you guys think?

Jer

A former member
Post #: 16
Dave and V.O.W,

Where are you guys going to be at Mitsuwa? If it is going to be after 2 p.m., I would like to be there.

Kenji

I have a class in the morning on Saturdays, so I prefer meetings after 2 pm.
But, I can skip this class once in a while to join earlier meeting like that.
I usually stay around Chicago area on weekends until Sunday evening, so Sunday brunch time is another good time, if anyone is interested.
I'll be at Mitsuwa tomorrow for snacks and some grocery shopping in the afternoon.

Daveさん、ある­おばちゃん­がたこやき­をおいしい­そに食べて­いることを­みたらsay"hello"­してくださ­い~!(^__^)V
­
A former member
Post #: 20
I'll get there around noon, but I can stick around until after 2...I want to browse through some manga and grab some lunch. I'll be the one who looks out of place wearing a denim jacket that has Arizona on the back.

I should really try to put a pic of myself on this site...I have one on Facebook.

mata ne!
Dave
Jim L.
user 6258809
Group Organizer
Mundelein, IL
Post #: 10
Sorry I couldn't meet up at Mitsuwa today. I was out of town.
A former member
Post #: 21
Well, I went to Mitsuwa on Saturday, I met Kenji for the first time (very nice to meet you, hope to see you in future Meet-ups)

I was at the mall from about 11:15 to 3, and I can tell you that the crowd never let up, there were so many people that I couldn't find any space to have any meetings...if we do a Saturday thing, perhaps a different venue will be necessary.

I was able to buy a few Manga though, I bought the first issue of "One Piece", "Fairytail" and "Vagabond" (That last one was from a recommendation from Jeremy-san. They are in Japanese, so I'm guessing it will take me several months to read a single one ;)

anyway, back on topic, any suggestions on where to meet on a Saturday?

ja ne,
Dave
Jeremy
user 6173059
Naperville, IL
Post #: 17
OK, based on Jim's intel and Dave's recon, I reserved us a small conference roomat the Arlington Heights Library.

Next Saturday, January 30th from 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM

There is a room size limit of 6, but I am not going to limit the RSVP numbers. If we book up I will try to get another room and we can split up a little.

I will post on the schedule and send email to everyone.

Arlington Heights Library
500 N. Dunton Avenue
Arlington Heights, IL
60004-5910
A former member
Post #: 17
WOW, LOOK WHAT I STARTED!!! laughing
I'm glad that it works for more people and that there is flexibility in scheduling. Thanks for being open minded about it. I am wondering if my other group, Conversation Cafe, can join you all. Saturday the 30th at 2 I already have a meetup planned at Borders in Highland Park on Central Ave. Any chance of us getting together with you? There are four people in common who are members of both groups.
Thanks,
Carol
A former member
Post #: 3
Oh wow, I'm sorry, Carol! I posted my remark on the Saturday meet-up without checking this message board first. That seems like a great idea. While I'll admit that the goals of both groups are somewhat contradictory (with one focusing on speaking English for ESL learners, and the other on Japanese conversation and learning), there does seem to be a good deal of crossover appeal between the two groups. Culture-sharing is stimulating, fun, and relaxing, I think. Forgive me for taking the soapbox here, but bringing all of our worlds closer together through mutual, good-natured education, I believe, is a positive step toward ending some of the ignorant prejudices that I, and perhaps a few others, unwittingly carry.

Also, the main reason that I'm here posting now is that I'll have evening classes this semester on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays starting with this upcoming Thursday, so I won't be able to attend any of those meet-ups. If you do have something on Saturdays, though, I'd like to attend that.

Don't make any adjustments just because of me, but rather, it's difficult to argue with suggesting a Saturday meet-up. I'm willing to bet that attendance will grow. Thursdays were a stretch for me anyway, since I have to take public transportation from downtown Chicago after work, and I would have been perpetually late for each meeting. I would guess I'm not the only one with this predicament. Jeremy, if you and Carol can arrange some sort of joint venture [at least this once], I'm sure it would yield positive results for more than just me.

I shall be hopeful and wait with bated breath. =)