addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Mitsuwa Market Area Japanese Language and Culture MeetUp Message Board › Game night in Japanese/English

Game night in Japanese/English

A former member
Post #: 151
What type of game do you have for us to play? Could you tell us those? If they are Japanese-related, that will be excellent. However, it is not a requirement at all. Games in English are totally fine (e.g., twister, chess, etc). However, please explain to us the complex rules in Japanese :P Board games and card games would be great. Video games are also fun. However, the setting might become a problem. We might not have a big Television set that can be connected to your video game equipment. I imagine that we will bring our own beverage/beer and some to share with other people. Also, some snacks would be great. Some potluck type of thing. Looking for your inputs.
Jeremy C.
user 2497129
Chicago, IL
Post #: 47
I have a set of Hanafuda and Go boards of a couple different sizes.
A former member
Post #: 15
I have a game called Apples to Apples. I've never gotten a chance to play it, but it seems like it might be a fun language game.

There is a version in Japanese, but it would probably cost a lot to import. Perhaps somebody who will be living there for a few months might be able to pick it up.
A former member
Post #: 16
Actually I found the game in Japanese, but it looks to be out of print...­
A former member
Post #: 17
And as I search for it more, it looks like the cards have both Japanese and English on them... would be a good way to learn vocabulary if we could find a way to buy it...
Karl S.
user 11479320
Arlington Heights, IL
Post #: 5
I have a decent-sized collection of board and card games. None of them are Japanese-related, though, except for a go board.

I think I still have a copy of Apples to Apples (in English) around here somewhere. It may take me a while to find it, however.

Most of the games I have usually take anywhere from one to two hours to play. I usually don't like long games very much - it's not fun to be stuck in a long game when you know you can't win, but you also can't quit without disrupting the game. (That's why I don't even own a copy of Monopoly, for example.)