addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Tampa Japanese Meetup Message Board The Tampa Japanese Meetup Discussion Forum › Celebrate a Japanese Holiday: Otsukimi (Moon-Viewing)

Celebrate a Japanese Holiday: Otsukimi (Moon-Viewing)

Esther (.
Just_Esther
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 39
It seems we're getting a lot of interest about celebrating a traditional Japanese holiday. What do you all think about Otsukimi (Moon Viewing Festival) around the full moon in September?

The possible problem mentioned in the meetup idea (http://www.meetup.com...­) was finding a place to hold our get together. We have 2 possibilities at present.

1. Our usual USF-area First United Church fellowship hall
2. A currently vacant condo in Treasure Island that Cathy M. said we could use

Both of these would require confirmation. The church hall might be in use and the condo might be rented by now. Securing a place to party is not free, so we'd all have to chip in a few bucks for the rental. If we have at least 10 participants it would be no more than $5 each--the church is $50, the condo is less.

Maybe we could have the party on the evening of Thursday, the 23rd of September, which is the date of full moon or we could have it the following weekend.

So...I've created a poll to find out which location and evening most people prefer.

Please vote at: http://www.meetup.com...­

Or post another suggestion on this discussion!

Also post here if you'd like to add to the entertainment.

Do you want to:
  • Share your knowledge of Otsukimi celebrations?
  • Demonstrate the making of mochi or dango?
  • Perform a tea ceremony?
  • Play the shamisen or shakuhachi for us?
  • Provide a moon-viewing flower arrangement?
  • Compose and/or recite a poem related to the season?
  • Another idea?

Ana I.
user 10283941
Tampa, FL
Post #: 2

I'll be glad to perform shamisen. :)

Oh! OH! Mochi! Please!

I'm going to have to make a bunny kanzashi now for the occassion...
A former member
Post #: 4
I've yet to attend a "Tampa Japanese Meetup" but I'm still hoping to sometime. I'm signed up for the AI sushi restaurant meeting.
I can't promise, because I'm looking for new work, and not sure if I'll suddenly have to move out of town, or what my schedule will be.....However, if the Moon Viewing Group is small...I have a boat that can hold 6 people, and sometimes I take it out on Tampa Bay on warm, summer nights, if the weather is good.
Well,,,,can't promise now, but a consideration/possibility.
Jeff
Esther (.
Just_Esther
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 42
Wow, that's generous of you Jeff! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find work in the area. (~_^)
Esther (.
Just_Esther
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 43
Well...I changed the poll a little because of an additional possiblity (other than Jeff's boat). Emily Mass has said that we'd probably be able to use some classroom space where she works next to I Ai Sushi. That's in the vicinity of Waters & Dale Mabry in Tampa. BIG Thank You's to Cathy and Emily and Jeff for their great suggestions. I'm tickled pink that our "Little Black Book" of possible venues is now more than blank pages!

Also, I removed all Sunday choices because the church will not be available on Sunday (Duh!) and I'm probably going to schedule something else for Sunday the 26th in a day or two anyway. I'll give you a hint--think matcha.

So, I've deleted some and added others to the poll and messed things up quite a bit. There are 2 or 3 votes out there. The only real vote is the one for Saturday at the Condo. I have confused the meetup software once again. They should hire me as a tester. There was one other vote, but that was mine and I'll agree to any place on either Thursday or Saturday.

To sort things out a little.

When:
  • Thursday, Sept. 23 or
  • Saturday, Sept. 25

Where:
  • UCC Church Hall or
  • Treasure Island Condo or
  • Classroom Space Near I Ai Sushi

Heather
Shi-chan
Wesley Chapel, FL
Post #: 1
Hey guys! I'm another one who hasn't actually made it to any meet-ups yet; I keep meaning to, but I always seem to have schedule conflicts. sad
I would really love to make it to this Otsukimi event, but I don't feel right voting because I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to make it or not. I have to work Howl-O-Scream and I'm not sure if that's an event weekend or not yet (I don't think it is, but I've been wrong before). But, if I were to vote, my vote would be for either the church or the classroom--Treasure Island is just a little bit too much of a drive for my poor car at the moment. confused
Anyway... I'm looking forward to eventually meeting all of you! And, may I just add that a bunny kanzashi sounds absolutely adorable?
Tampakumicho
Tampakumicho
Tampa, FL
Post #: 6
Shouldn't this be outside somewhere we can reasonably hope to see the moon? Otherwise we're just approximating a holiday and using it as an excuse to get together. Not that that is a bad thing necessarily. If I'm going to adopt a holiday I prefer to take it as it really is. It misses the point to go on a date for Christmas (like they do in Japan). So it must be to have a moon viewing party in a classroom or building.

That said, I know how hard it is to organize things, so I voted for something else as well. But what about a beach or a park or a big yard, some place with limited light pollution and clear view of the sky.

Didn't vote for the boat simply because of space, though that's a great offer. What about renting a pontoon or deck boat or something? It would likely be as cheap as renting a building.

Well...I changed the poll a little because of an additional possiblity (other than Jeff's boat). Emily Mass has said that we'd probably be able to use some classroom space where she works next to I Ai Sushi. That's in the vicinity of Waters & Dale Mabry in Tampa. BIG Thank You's to Cathy and Emily and Jeff for their great suggestions. I'm tickled pink that our "Little Black Book" of possible venues is now more than blank pages!

Also, I removed all Sunday choices because the church will not be available on Sunday (Duh!) and I'm probably going to schedule something else for Sunday the 26th in a day or two anyway. I'll give you a hint--think matcha.

So, I've deleted some and added others to the poll and messed things up quite a bit. There are 2 or 3 votes out there. The only real vote is the one for Saturday at the Condo. I have confused the meetup software once again. They should hire me as a tester. There was one other vote, but that was mine and I'll agree to any place on either Thursday or Saturday.

To sort things out a little.

When:
  • Thursday, Sept. 23 or
  • Saturday, Sept. 25

Where:
  • UCC Church Hall or
  • Treasure Island Condo or
  • Classroom Space Near I Ai Sushi

Esther (.
Just_Esther
Group Organizer
Tampa, FL
Post #: 44
Do you have specific park in mind? I'd say USF Botanical Gardens (it has a lake, gazebo, bamboo, micanthus grass, etc.) but it closes before dark. I think that might be a problem with all public parks. I don't think the botanical gardens would want to stay open for a little group like ours...unless we paid some big bucks.
Cathy
user 10262012
Saint Petersburg, FL
Post #: 1
I have another suggestion for Otsukimi (Moon-Viewing):

Why not rent a Duffy Electric Boat at the Pier in downtown St Petersburg? The boat goes up to 10 miles per hour, it is quiet - no fuel - no loud sounds from propellers. It can accommodate up to 12 people - you can rent by the hour, $75 per hour for 12 only costs $6.25 pp. You can rent this boat in the evening hours - not sure what time you want to start the moon viewing. You can also rent a VIP boat for $5.00 addt'l per hour. You can bring coolers and food on the boat. It has a CD stereo on the boat too. I beleive the VIP has the full canopy over the boat (in case it rains). Esther buzz me if you need more info. The location is near the Interstate - its located behind the Museum of History. Parking is $3.00 all day or .25 per hr in the lot near the boat. Oh, most importantly, it has a bathroom on the boat. There is also a Japanese Restaurant at Baywalk near the Pier, Tokyo Sushi Cafe, you can have a dinner and then off to the moon viewing.

Regards, Cathy
Ana I.
user 10283941
Tampa, FL
Post #: 3
You know, I'm really loving the idea of a boat more and more.

Another idea is a dinner cruise- food (and some drinks) are provided. We could call to see if they can allow us to bring sake or food that we would prefer. I think Cathy's idea is better, but it never hurts to check.

Now that I think about it, I have to agree with Tampakumicho's point. If we're having a moon viewing, then the party should be outside. And what better way to observe the moon then out by sea?