Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › My thoughts of learning Japanese

My thoughts of learning Japanese

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi all,

I've been learning Japanese for 10 years, on and off. Have school hopped quite a bit; tried Bunka, JCS, Pyaess and are now studying in Ikoma.

I love Jdrama and have watched quite a lot, but always have to rely on the subtitles.

Recently, I got my N3 result back and passed with flying colours. I even got full marks for listening but I am very puzzled about the score. To be very honest, I didn't expect to do well as I could not understand most of the conversations. When I travel in Japan, I could barely speak beyond what is taught in the elementary textbook. I know I gotta practise more if I want to improve my proficiency level. However, when I tried to speak to people who know Japanese, I still find it hard to express myself.

I also spent some time reflecting my journey of learning Japanese. When I discussed with my friend who just started learning Japanese, I realised that the teaching method hasn't changed much. This makes me wonder if there is a better way of learning Japanese. Instead of learning from textbooks, Japanese langauge schools should also consider teaching using "live" texts such as newspaper, manga, even instruction manuals, food wrapping, etc. I felt really kuyashii when my friends showed me some food wrapping with Japanese texts and asked what the text meant. Most of the time, I didn't know how to answer.

Just want to hear from all the people who learnt Japanese as a third langauge, how do you improve your proficiency level, beyond the JLPT certificate? Your advice is greatly appreciated.
A former member
Post #: 2
If you've been learning Japanese for 10 years and still need subtitles I suggest you give up being a Japanese wannabe and learn proper English. That may actually come in handy some day when you do decide to move out of your parents' house and get a job.
Darwin Zheng
user 10550946
Singapore, SG
Post #: 80
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Bunka is learning japanese language as a business people interaction. They did try to have some culture game to relax though.

I felt that people learn for work is stressfull with it.

If learn this language for fun like anime, drama. They will find that learning it as tanoshi.

Body language is also another language. Japanese language also brings out the character of personnallity too.

Even japanese themselves also find that learning japanese language is tough.

If learn until too stressfull kenji will wasuremasu easily.

If learn for tanoshimasu, oboimasuka?

Kenji is actually halfway of chinese character convert halfway from fan ti ro jian ti. They stuck at halfway period of conversion. That's why some are actually fan ti while some of them is jian ti.

Sing song always sing back same word can remember easily. Karaoke really did help.

Darwin Zheng
user 10550946
Singapore, SG
Post #: 81
Body language. Can you expect people nake when he or she character never allow to do so?

Same as your mind will never remember sarcastic words that you use in sarcastic business world.

For manga, anime innocent children mind set can remember tanoshi meaning enjoy it easily.

Is personnality, character block some kenji words away.
Darwin Zheng
user 10550946
Singapore, SG
Post #: 82
muridesuyone omachinasai.

Just use it naturally. I think is better this way...

Oogami
Oogami
Singapore, SG
Post #: 213
Hey, what's with the nasty reply?

She did say that she's been learning the language on and off for 10 years. You have no idea on how much actual time she had invested in learning.

wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 85
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
If you've been learning Japanese for 10 years and still need subtitles I suggest you give up being a Japanese wannabe and learn proper English. That may actually come in handy some day when you do decide to move out of your parents' house and get a job.

I think you made a wrong assumption that attending school = not working. Those schools that she's listed all provide mostly night or weekend classes, once or twice a week, geared at working adults. 10 years at such frequency with lull periods in between probably amounts to about half or one year at a full-time language school in Japan.

I think you just made a big fool of yourself.

I've been learning Japanese for 10 years, on and off. Have school hopped quite a bit; tried Bunka, JCS, Pyaess and are now studying in Ikoma.

I had school-hopped quite a bit too - Bunka, community centre, Hougang, JCS, Ikoma. In the end, I still mostly relied on self-studying.

I love Jdrama and have watched quite a lot, but always have to rely on the subtitles.

Have you tried re-watching the same drama maybe a few months or years later without subtitles?

Recently, I got my N3 result back and passed with flying colours. I even got full marks for listening but I am very puzzled about the score. To be very honest, I didn't expect to do well as I could not understand most of the conversations. When I travel in Japan, I could barely speak beyond what is taught in the elementary textbook. I know I gotta practise more if I want to improve my proficiency level. However, when I tried to speak to people who know Japanese, I still find it hard to express myself.

It takes practice. I guess you just gotta keep speaking in Japanese until words flow out. And it's ok to speak in less-than-perfect Japanese. A language is but a tool for communication, so as long as your listener understands you, you're successful in using it.

I also spent some time reflecting my journey of learning Japanese. When I discussed with my friend who just started learning Japanese, I realised that the teaching method hasn't changed much. This makes me wonder if there is a better way of learning Japanese. Instead of learning from textbooks, Japanese langauge schools should also consider teaching using "live" texts such as newspaper, manga, even instruction manuals, food wrapping, etc. I felt really kuyashii when my friends showed me some food wrapping with Japanese texts and asked what the text meant. Most of the time, I didn't know how to answer.

Some of these stuff, you gotta do it outside lessons on your own. Classroom time is precious little. Newspapers are very hard to read - you'd probably need to be at least JLPT N2 or even N1 to understand some of it. Manga is usually way too colloquail and confusing for learners - e.g. they use certain kanjis with furigana on top that contextually refers to the same thing but isn't the proper reading for the kanji.

Just want to hear from all the people who learnt Japanese as a third langauge, how do you improve your proficiency level, beyond the JLPT certificate? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

For me, I surrounded myself with people involved with the language - learners, speakers, natives - through this meetup. Though eventually, I cheated by living in Japan for a year and that was when my listening and speaking skills really picked up.
Darwin Zheng
user 10550946
Singapore, SG
Post #: 84
Oh, yeah. Never thought of that. I better reflect my learning curve myself too.
A former member
Post #: 3

I think you just made a big fool of yourself.

Yes Wanyen or whatever your Chinese name is. I'm the fool who wants to watch Japanese anime and dress in an anime character and learn Japanese for 10 years and can't understand or speak basic Japanese after all that time :rolling eyes:

I took 4 months of German in college and can speak/understand enough German to get by in Germany. But I'm the fool :rolling eyes:
wy
user 3349532
Singapore, SG
Post #: 86
Send an Email You are unable to greet this member
I'm the fool who wants to watch Japanese anime and dress in an anime character and learn Japanese for 10 years and can't understand or speak basic Japanese after all that time :rolling eyes: I took 4 months of German in college and can speak/understand enough German to get by in Germany. But I'm the fool :rolling eyes:

Haha someone really loves making a fool of himself here. May I know who you're trying to describe? Maybe you have problems with English comprehension. Thread-starter CAN speak basic Japanese and CAN get by in Japan. She would just like to improve it further to do much more than getting by, like read the newspapers. Oh yes, I'm sure you're such a genius that after 4 months of German in college, you could read the German newspapers with ease.

Thread-starter mentioned Jdrama, but I don't know how you twisted that in your mind into 'watch Japanese anime and dress in an anime character'. You also said 'some day when you do decide to move out of your parents' house and get a job', alluding that thread-starter is a goofing good-for-nothing, which I tried to tell you otherwise. But oh wait, with your level of English comprehension, you might not have understood that.

I love fools. They provide me with something to bite.