Japanese Meetup @Singapore Message Board › Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

Any good Japanese Language School to recommend?

A former member
Post #: 1
i had my beginners 4 years ago at hougang japanese language school.
it's cheap, really run down, but it didn't really matter to me at first because i was too immersed in studying the basics.

i skipped level 4 because i felt it was a total waste of time.

then, i changed to bunka language school because i wanted to take jlpt 3 soon.
i had completed the whole of the intermediate course, but felt that i was missing a HUGE chunk of crucial information (grammar, vocab) for the test which bunka did not provide me with.
whats more, above intermediate level, in advanced, promotion depends on the TEACHER, not on completion of the particular course!!!

so i attended ikoma's preparatory course for jlpt 3.
i passed jlpt 3 with a score of 352.

ikoma's prep courses are (in my opinion) the only courses in ikoma you should go for if you have a tight budget but cannot afford to compromise your jlpt preparation.
and i have to agree that their flexibility is unbeatable.
they have prep classes every day of the week for jlpt 2. for jlpt 1, its mon-wed-sat.

i proceeded to take jlpt 2 prep course for the whole of last year, despite knowing i might not pass. it was really, really tough bridging the gap between 3 and 2, but consistency and preserverance allowed me to pass with a score of 306. (lousy, i know, but i seriously thought i was going to fail!)

so i'm taking the jlpt 1 prep course at ikoma right now, and im still very doubtful about passing it this year, but i know that i'm receiving the best preparation there is!
Max T.
Sanada_Akihiko
Singapore, SG
Post #: 1
Hi All,

I am currently taking my japanese lessons in Yano Language School, and it is really good. I am only into my 5th lesson in Elementary level..The price is reasonable as well.
jenny
user 3563677
Singapore, SG
Post #: 9
The school we choose for learning no doubt is important but we ourselves also need to play an important role to study it diligently with passion and interest.

For instance when we were in our Primary or Secondary school days. Some of us are in neighbourhood school but does this mean we would not be able to make to University? Wrong, i have former classmate with average "o" level result in Sec 5, choose to go to Polytechnic and the wonderful thing is his result in Poly is excellent and end up in University.

So what does this imply? Mean so long as you have the interest in doing something and focus and have the believe in you can do it. Whatever school you are at you still the best!

I have quite a few colleagues studie in JCS and passed JLPT 2 with good results!
Wei P.
weipeng
Singapore, SG
Post #: 7
I agree with Jenny. I took and passed JLPT 1 many years ago. I studied at JCS, Pyaess, Inoue etc. in order to pass the exam. The schools were okay, they gave you lots of past years questions and so on but at the end of the day, you still have to count on yourself to digest and/or memorize the past years questions by hard. Half or maybe 70% of Level 1's questions are so out-of-context, people seldom use the words in normal day life that I'm told even Japanese themselves don't really necessarily know the answers to all of them. I've since forgotten most of them and my standard now has dropped to level 2... smile
KLung
user 4140713
Singapore, SG
... Half or maybe 70% of Level 1's questions are so out-of-context, people seldom use the words in normal day life that I'm told even Japanese themselves don't really necessarily know the answers to all of them. I've since forgotten most of them and my standard now has dropped to level 2... smile

I totally agree with what Wei Peng wrote in here. I also passed JLPT1 few years ago.
The grammar in JLPT1 are seldom used in daily conversation (even Japaneses are not using the grammar also). For me, JLPT1 is for exam only, for certification only.

"If you could master the grammar/vocab of JLPT2 very well, there is no more you can learn from Japanese Language school!"
(I think some of you will not agree with me, especially those already passed JLPT2 but still weak in speaking, and now are struggling in JLPT1's course.)

Normally, there are few pattern could be seen among those are studying Japanese.

Group 1) Passed JLPT3, now are attending JLPT2's course, can speak a simple Japanese, but cannot understand the Japanese in conversation.
{They have a strong will to improve Japanese, in this stage, they have very high motivation.Fight!}

Group 2) Passed JLPT2, now are attending JLPT1's course, can speak a simple Japanese, but STILL cannot understand the Japanese in conversation. (You may understand only what your sensei says in class) {Eh... why still at same level as the time studying JLPT2??? Their motivation starts to decrease !!! This is normal when we had done something but could not see the fruits. }

Group 3) Passed JLPT4, give up in JLTP3 or passed JLPT3, but finished their energy already.
{This group of people are not hardworking enough, but they are clever. They know they will end up like the people in 1) and 2).}

Which group of people do you belong to?wink

If you are in Group 2), please think about my opinion below.

-----TO GROUP 2 PEOPLE ------
Grammar/vocab in JLPT2 are the most commonly used in daily conversation. If you are not be able to master them well (especially in speaking/listenning), do you think that you can master the JLPT1 grammar that are seldom used, AND for what purpose you learn these grammar/vocab? Even you pass the JLPT1 one day, you will become JLPT1 holder that can READ/WRITE only but do not have the ability to listen/understand/speak.

As what I said before, if you passed JLPT2, there is no more you can learn from Japanese Language school. You should change your DIRECTION now. The only way you can improve your Japanese is "communicate/converse/listen in Japanese".
In this level, you are ready to do this. You have learnt enough vocab to understand Japanese.
You can understand what your teacher said in class, but cannot understand what the people said outside your class.
You cannot understand, because you do not have enough practice.
If your final target is converse using Japanese, why not start earlier?

-----TO GROUP 1 PEOPLE ------
Don't become Group 2 people again.devilish

-----TO GROUP 3 PEOPLE ------
I have no idea!biggrin

No matter which school you go, the most important things are continuous learning, keeping using Japanese.
Have you ever thought that why we can speak using at least 1 language before we go to school?
Bellis
Bellis
Singapore, SG
Post #: 13
How about Group 4 people who already passed JLPT 1?
aaron
randomswing
Singapore, SG
Post #: 19
How about Group 4 people who already passed JLPT 1?
haha Bellis, talking about yourself huh biggrin

Coming back to the topic, I vote for self-studying! Language schools spoonfeed people and make them lazy.
mikan
saytinpin
Singapore, SG
Post #: 2
Coming back to the topic, I vote for self-studying! Language schools spoonfeed people and make them lazy.

well, i think spoonfeeding is probably a two-way process, even though if the word itself seems to suggest otherwise. i feel language schools can be and are quite useful, especially in the early stages of learning the language, because structured learning ensures that you get the fundamentals down pat and that, in turn, will the transition into more advanced study and self-study much much easier. you will probably learn the same stuff from the book or the internet, but going for lessons is another avenue for you to clear any questions or doubts with and to get feedback from someone more proficient in the language and its nuances. i'm all for self-study, but i think there's probably a best time (one which is different for everyone) for it. for me, it is going for lessons in a proper school and using self-study as a supplement, and now i'm gradually switching that around. smile
Terence
shinkitsura
Singapore, SG

I beg to differ. This really depends on your school as YMMV. And it's not really that easy to self study languages since certain colloquial and other nuances of the language can only be pointed out by a native speaker.

I've been looking around for additional study materials on the internet for years and most aren't really that good since they are contributed by fellow Japanese learners. I have only found one site that is really good I keep going back to: Jim Breen's page. So even if you want to self study you need good materials and that would have to come from Japanese study guides e.g. Minna no Nihongo etc.

So since most schools provide their own study materials and they happen to be cheaper than buying lots of Japanese study guides I don't see the harm in enrolling in a language school. After all if all languages can be self studied then language schools would have become extinct long ago.

But I guess it all boils down to individual motivation. Even with the world's best teacher and most comprehensive study guide, if you aren't motivated to study the language then you will never be good in it.
Tsubasa
Tsubasa10
Singapore, SG
Post #: 273
Hi, another list from me.
Pls note that they are NOT in order of anything.

Japanese Cultural Society
Midland House
112 Middle Road #05-00
Singapore 188970
Tel: 63383428
http://www.jcss.org.s...­

Hougang Japanese Language School
Locations:
Hougang School:
Blk.204 #04-113/119 Hougang Street 21
(Kovan MRT station)
Hougang School: 6282 7590

Alexandra School:
Blk.123 #04-82 Bukit Merah Lane 1
(Just in front of Qweensway Shopping Centre)
Alexandra School: 6273 8434
http://japaneselangua...­

Ikoma Language School
350 Orchard Road, #12-07 Shaw House,
Singapore 238868
Tel: 6238-0288
http://www.ikoma.com....­

Bunka Language School
402 Orchard Road
#05-15/16 Delfi Orchard
Singapore 238876
Tel: 6737 3601, 6734 1603